Fiji Islands


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Viti Levu
June 2nd 2008
Published: June 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey all,
Lived in Fiji for 5 years, finished high school there on the main island Viti Levu in a town called Lautoka (20 minute drive from Nadi where the airport is located). If your planning on going to Fiji for a short trip (1-3 weeks) I'd suggest that you spend as little time as possible on the main island as everything you hear or see when Fiji comes into mind is in the islands. Although, if you want to see a Viti Levu some nice attractions are the huge fruit and vege market in downtown Nadi (as well as the capital, Suva), the night life (lots of Fiji Bitter, Reggae and R&B music or classic Fijian hits depending on where you go.. but while your in Nadi definately stop by Ed's Bar for a drink. Popular with the all crowds, pool tables in the back, 2 bars back to back and a restaurant aswell..choicee). An hours drive from Nadi is Natadola Beach. Its gorgeous and definately a beach to see if your not planning on going to any of the islands during your trip. If you are, skip Natadola.

A bus ride from Nadi to Suva is about 5
Bula danceBula danceBula dance

Doing the bula dance on Beachcomber Island Resort. Definately a hot spot for the young at heart. Bula dancing?!? (still will never know what that is), coconut racing, wayy too much fiji bitter, streakers at every corner and a buffet breakfest, lunch and dinner! Mmm.. the food was AMAZING! got so fatt and loved every minute of it:)
hours and can be a little ruff with numerous stops on the way. Best advice is to rent a car, take a taxi (around $60-70) or even fly (yes, there is a 13 minute flight that takes you to a town just on the rim of Suva city). On the way to Suva, definately check out the Sigatoka Sand Dumes if your the adventurous type and if you plan to get there by vehicle, Sigatoka town is a nice way to break up the drive for an hour or 2.

Suva is a vibrant city for its size, lots of tourist traps, bars, cinema (where tickets cost $5.00!!) museum, cafes, flee markets etc. Be careful with your belongings and dont tell your name to any suspicious looking people who may come up to you and ask for it. Chances are they'll carve your name on a wooden boat and then find you later and make you pay for it.. happened to me and many others. Key advice while your in Fiji, regardless of location: ALWAYS BARGAIN because they will ALWAYS put the price down.

Food on viti levu is mainly Indian curries, roti and palusami (Taro leaves cooked sauteed in onions and cooked in coconut milk), and Kokonda (raw fish soaked in lemon, onion and coconut milk - delicious). Fijian food is famous for their earthoven ('Lovo') mouthwatering meals but you can also get any other style of food.. heck, they Mc Donalds, KFC and Pizza Hut.

As for the local brew, be prepared to numb yourself out. Kava is made from grounded roots that have been soaked in water and its properties contain a mild form of anesthetics that, depending on the strength, can numb your tongue, your whole mouth and leave you in a state of relaxation (its beautiful stuff) but tastes like muddy chalk-water.

As for any other information, hostels, clubs, bus fairs, taxi fairs, blah blah blah.. send me a post and i'll help you out😊

xx




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Vuda Marina Yacht ClubVuda Marina Yacht Club
Vuda Marina Yacht Club

15 minute drive from Nadi Airport, fun time if you want to have a few drinks and mingle with the locals and the yachties. Usually live music and a restaurant is there too but not worth eating at. First landing Resort isn't far and their food is great. Definately try one of their pizzas:)


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb