Day 69: Exploring Suva‏


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Viti Levu » Suva
February 16th 2013
Published: February 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Despite being the 'capital' and the largest city in Fiji, Suva is actually pretty small. We started our walking tour down at the harbour by the handicraft market and continued up the main road past the town hall, library and the Olympic swimming pool (size not event). We then headed through the city gardens to the Fiji museum which has a really interesting display of culture and environment. The stories of cannibalism were a little frightening but those days are long gone! Our lunch stop at Guava was delicious (well worth the return after our failed attempt at breakfast - arriving too early!). With our swimming costumes on we headed back to the pool, it was crammed full of local kids and I got some pretty funny stares in my bikini! The weather waited for us to get out of the pool and then decided to chuck it down, so a soggy walk back to the hotel. After a shower and a run (for James) we headed out to a quiet restaurant called I Crave Bistro for dinner - great food and really friendly service. We have enjoyed our stay in Suva, it's not the same glamour as the beach resorts but its a great insight into the everyday life of the students and working people in the capital.

Bailey's bit: On my run in the morning I noticed that a few rugby teams were congregating in Albert park, the main sports field in Suva. Later in the day as we walked past there was a local sevens tournament taking place. We watched a couple of games, they were of a reasonable standard but the locals didn't care as they cheered them on! On our walk in the morning we were also collared by a local who started telling us to go to a local shop rather than a chain store (I'll fill in the details why after we have left Fiji). Anyway before we knew it we had bought and had engraved a decorative set of wooden knifes by him, our souvenir shopping this whole trip has pretty much been forced rather than voluntary!

Daily mileage: 4.5(am) had a brief explore near where we were staying before heading down to the sea front along a good running path. 4.5(pm) I went out looking for a potential breakfast spot near the seafront. I went past it by a mile and a half before asking some locals and been sent back and finding it within a mile of our hotel!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb