Fiji


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Viti Levu » Nadi
June 10th 2006
Published: June 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well after being in New Zealand for 2 months in the freezing cold it was a huge relief to get to the Fiji Islands. It was in fact their winter there but you would never have thought it whilst lying in the sun on one of the 300 islands paradise beaches!

Our first stop was Nadi (which is actually pronounced Nandi) and to the nadi bay hotel. We'd checked into there for a few days to get sorted before heading off to the islands. Nadi town was not the best place to be so most people head to islands as quickly as possible. It was a really run-down city, with locals hanging around all over the streets. As we walked down the street everyone was looking at us, we kept our heads down trying not to draw any more attention to ourselves but it was obvious from our very white skin that we were new visitors and definitly not locals.
Before we knew it a man had crossed the street and began to talk to us, he was very friendly which helped us relax a little and stupidly i guess we began to trust him. He asked us our names
Kava CeremonyKava CeremonyKava Ceremony

This isn't actually the one at Nadi but this is a genuine one we experienced on Mana Island.
and where we were from and then told us all about himself and his country and that he and his family lived in a village with a small community. He told us that he owned a little shop which helped provide money to feed his family. As he talked and talked we hadn't relised he was actually leading us straight for his little shop and before we could question it we were inside being greeted my brothers, cousins you name it.
In Fiji they have a traditional drink called Kava which is used to welcome people and relax the body and mind. We read that it is not unusual for village people to invite you into their homes and involve you in a Kava ceremony and it is very rude for you to not except.
So as we're being introduced to the family someone else is now laying out mats and preparing some kind of murky water in a bowl (obviously this must be the Kava). We take our shoes off and sit down. We our now feeling a little nervous as there are so many men standing all around us. We keep smiling and listen to their stories as they begin to start the ceremony guiding us through what we had to say and do.
In the back of my mind i keep telling myself that this is something i have to experience whilst i'm here and as we are offered this murky water (which is some kind of plant) i drink it with the hopeful thought that, that is all it is!
After we finished the bowl i am relieved that nothing as happened to us and that this must have been a genuine gesture...we are then shown around the shop and have all had necklaces tied to are necks, some man is showing sean many different carvings but offering them to him at ridiculous prices. Luckily me and Sarah over hear and realise this is the part where we get ripped off, we quickly go in and stop him before he hands over any money. We ask them how much the necklaces are, feeling oblidged to buy them after they given up so much time (i think thats part of the plan), and pay them way to much and head out of there very quickly. The man follows us trying to get us to now look in his mates shop of clothes but we refuse politely and get the hell out of there.
We decide that we have had enough my then and jump straight into a taxi back to the hotel. Over those couple of days in Nadi we relax by the pool and as we're lying there we over hear many conversations similiar to our experience and realise we got off very lightly!





Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



24th November 2006

kave ceremony
I was in nade a couple of days earlier (june 5th) and had exactly the same experience, except I denied the Kava - I also heard some scary stories about backpackers beinged lurred into some ominous shops, drugged and ripped off. I stayed on Mana Island in the same hostel for a few days. It was a blast. Hope you enjoyed your trip as much as I did. Take care boo

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0324s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb