Fiji - Garden of the Sleeping Giant


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Viti Levu » Nadi
February 4th 2006
Published: February 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We had really smooth conditions on the flight over so we actually landed ahead of schedule, but this gain was shortlived due to being towed to the terminal because of works being conducted on the tarmac, and a very slow moving line(s) in customs. We were told by the captain that it would be 25 degrees in Nadi, which I assumed would be the maximum for the day, but this was the temperature when we disembarked at dawn just before the sun came up. Very humid.

When we came out the other side of customs we were directed to the bus pickup, but then there were people telling us we should catch a taxi. I was wary the taxi driver would rip us off, but we ended up in a taxi anyhow. Rajendra (pronounced like VIRENDER Sehwag the swashbuckling opening batsman for India) ended up getting us to our hotel for $10 Fijian dollars, and on the way offered us his own personal tours, but still being a bit cautious we didn't commit to anything.

After a few hours sleep we rang Rajendra, and he came and picked us up within 20 minutes. Our first port of call was the 'Garden of the Sleeping Giant' which is a garden that was established by American actor Raymond Burr and features fantastic tropical gardens and orchids. The backdrop is these mountains that have been formed from a volcano that is now extinct, so they are an amazing sight, they actually look like they are out of a prehistoric era. The gardens were a bit of a 'touristy' thing to do, but it was still worth doing. I don't think the photos did the garden justice, because of the lighting. It was very steamy in the tropical garden, and we were glad to take up the offer of a yummy complimentary juice at the end of it, although we insisted on no ice.

By now we were picking up some of the local language, but I'm not to sure on the spelling as it doesn't follow the same rules as English.
'Bula' (correct spelling) means hello; it means life; it means welcome.
'Vinaka' means thank you.
'Bula vinaka' means thank you very much.
'Senga' means no.
'Mode' pronounced more-thay, means bye or goodnight.
'Senga na lenga' means no worries (my favourite!).


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



11th February 2006

Margot's Mail
Hi Guys, Bulla Bulla! Fiji is a magic place and so is vancouver. Congratulations on your job placement so soon Danny. You must be in Vancouver a while to take on such a position. This travel log is a great system. Take care!
14th February 2006

Lovin ya work
Chiefy, Valentines Day here. Thought ya I.T. skills needed some work! The travel blog is a ripper though, great set up. Fiji looks and sounds pretty damn good and well done on the job. Moved into my new house yesterday next to uni. Very happy with it. I've got the ensuite too so I guess I can have plenty of showers! We have a paddock out the back, one of the boys reckons he's gonna put sheep in it but I was thinkin more along the lines of a drivin range or little golf course. It's a beauty. Our O week starts next week and could be a fairly messy start to the year. Anyway you'll have to keep loggin in what ya been doin cause it's cool seein where you both visit and I'm sure you'll have plenty of interestin stories along the way. I'll also send ya pics of what I get up to this year. All the best, hope Bec's all good too, Brendon
15th February 2006

envious
Makes me feel like getting on the plane tomorrow and experience the sights and thrills of Vancouver, Jasper, Banff etc. Sounds like the snow has hit USA bigtime, hope it doesn't interfere with your travels too much. Rememner to drive on the right side of the road. I look forward to hearing your Billing's experiences, it's been 15 years now. Hope you are both safe and well.

Tot: 0.508s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 28; qc: 107; dbt: 0.1939s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb