'Chief Bob'


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Viti Levu » Nadi
January 13th 2006
Published: January 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well having left Auckland with a somewhat delicate head it was time for Fiji. Now having booked my flights some time ago I was originally going to be in Fiji for 4 days/3 nights but as NZ airways have decided to change flights on me that’s been shortened to 3 Days and 2 nights but to make matters worse my flights land mid day and take off mid afternoon so it only gave me one full day in Fiji.

I wasn't too upset about it as when I arrived at the hostel I found the bar next to the Pool with several ladies wearing very little around it (There is a god!). Well I got settled in to my digs, the hostel is a little out the way and the nearest town is about 10mins away. But as we passed through it on the way to the hostel I didn't bother going to explore as there didn't look to be much there. I just chilled by the pool reading and having a few social ones.

The next day I'd booked on a tour called the 'The Jewel of Fiji' I should have read the small print as the tour is on the other side of the island and takes over 3 hours to get there. But no worries I can catch up on some sleep. When we arrive there is a group of about 12 and the tour guide asks for someone to be Chief of the group as I'm on my own the rest of the group nominate me. Do they know something I don't?

We head up river in an old Canoe that worryingly they have to empty the water from before we get in. It's about a 15min ride up the river before we enter the guides Village. We are greeted by a couple of locals in traditional dress, one blowing on a shell to announce our arrival to the village and the other there to escort us to the main hall. As I'm chief I get to go first, we enter the hall where they preform a welcome song before the Kava Ceremony. Kava is a drink that the Fijians use for ceremonies such as the welcoming of guest, Marriages and Deaths.

As I'm chief I get to taste the Kava first, it's not alcoholic but has some strange qualities and after a small drink it leaves my tongue and Lips numb. It's like going to the dentist when he freezes you mouth. I know one or two people at home who would pay good money for something like this but it's not allowed to be exported. Where shown round the village before heading back to the main hall for lunch. Lunch as been cooked traditionally in the ground and ranges from Curried chicken to fish dishes. I've no idea what I'm eating but I try a bit if everything and it's good. After lunch we are treated to a war dance by the local warriors and then some traditional dancing by the women of the village.

Having finished lunch we head up the river again. We are taken to a small waterfall where we can go swimming. The water isn't a good colour but what the hell. After a short while we climb up stream about a 100m until we find a larger pool with a massive waterfall at one end. It must be over 50metres high and is truly an amazing place as you swim up to the fall, the power forces you back and you can only get so far.

After an hour or so swimming around and diving off the rocks we head back down to the river where we are greeted by our return form of transport. A bamboo raft that doesn't look very stable. Are guide jokes that this is his first time at controlling the raft and that seems to be true when he hits the rocks as we leave. It's quite an experience as we head down the river there is a few rapids we have to navigate but nothing to bad.

In the evening I retire to the bar but head for an early night as I've been on the go for over 12 hours. The next day having sorted my stuff out it's time for another flight. I get a lift to the airport but I'm about 3 hours early and I can't check in for another hour. If you have ever been abroad and suffered from local time i.e. we'll do it in a bit. You'll know what I mean as after I've checked in I have to wait to get through customs because there on a break. I must be one of the first to get through as there is virtually nobody in the departure lounges and it's only an hour before the flight. Well not to worry I'm there and it's on to the Cook Islands.

If anyone has tried texting me don't bother for the next week or so as I've no signal in Fiji and will not have on in the Cook Islands either.


Advertisement



18th January 2006

Chief!?
Glad you got in touch and that you are ok. Don't be thinking that being Chief for a day in Fiji means anything back here! Chill out in the Cook Islands. See you soon.x
19th January 2006

Dish Water
Yes the dish water was a bit strange and me to as chief on one of the small Islands i went to was the first to taste and me being me had to prove the people from Bolton are the bigest drinker around soon the world was all fuzzy and funny enough it got better after the three or four. Been keeping track with your blog sounds like you are having a ball with more trip to come i should think? Make sure you experience and get involved with some cook island dancing (Island Nigth at one of the big hotel) before you leave it is much better than the Fiji dances - (Coconuts and grass skirts that shake like you………..)well dont want to spoil it. The cross island walk was good to do along with watching the planes land as they come in over the ocean are about 150ft above your head.

Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb