We wrote this blog on Fiji Time


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Viti Levu » Nadi
November 18th 2006
Published: December 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

SunsetSunsetSunset

Dreamy!!
Arriving in Fiji we were greeted by a great big Bula! Which is Hello in Fijian. And as a small group of guitar playing singers continued with the Fijian welcome song it really set the mood for what was to become a brilliant two weeks of fun and sun. Just a bit of Market research, but what do you reckon to the Wurzles being employed to welcome people into Exeter?? “Where be that black bird to……”

Our first resort was the Stoney Creek Lodge www.stoneycreekfiji.net run by a lovely couple called Michelle & Gary. The location was perfect for unwinding. Set back on the hillside opposite the Sleeping Giant Mountain Range, it had a number of sweeping shaded terraces and a large kidney shaped pool with a walk over bridge. The mountain backdrop was stunning, lush and green with vegetation and a welcome scene throughout the day.

Over the next 3 days we didn’t get up to a great deal, we sat by the pool sunbathing and enjoyed the superb home cooking that Michelle laid on every night. I also got to watch the England, Argentina game thanks to the efforts of Gary setting up the TV in the bar. We edged it by a couple of points, but it was not a good performance (new coach maybe??). One evening Jo and I climbed up the small hill behind our resort and spent a good hour or so taking in the sunset and the superb surrounding views.

The next afternoon I joined a couple of other guests Angella & James on a walk to the nearby Hot Springs. Luckily for us we hadn’t walked far when we were offered a lift by the local bobby in the back of his Ute. The springs were set in a small grove of trees with large white stones outlining a path between 3 or 4 hot pools. What a great experience. First we were guided to a pool which consisted of about 4 foot of silky mud below a 30 odd degree body of muddy water. The idea was to get completely and utterly covered in mud. No problem there. Next we went in the 35 degree pool to wash off, before slowly lowering ourselves into the 45 degree pool for a relaxing soak. The walk home took about 30 minutes, but we weren’t in a rush! We walked along the dusty track as the sun set and as we passed the locals out in their gardens enjoying the evening, they smiled and waved and shouted Bula! And low and behold we passed a small group of what looked like fathers and sons playing a game of touch rugby in their front garden. Again, when we were around the corner from our resort we stopped to watch what at first appeared to be a large game of touch. The ground looked pretty solid and apart from the occasional clump of grass, baron. So it was a bit of a surprise when one lad who had gone on a mazey run got well a truely pole axed in a glorious puff of orange dust. Nutter’s! Suddenly I didn’t feel like joining in!!

On our last evening we had a lovely candle lit meal set outside on the veranda. We chatted to another couple who had just come from a tour of the Yasawa Islands. Their stories sounded fantastic and stoked our excitement, for the next day we would be off there ourselves.

Just a little note. We haven't been able to upload any of our film clips from Fiji for some unknown reason but we'll keep trying!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Rhinoceros BeetleRhinoceros Beetle
Rhinoceros Beetle

This little sucker was stuck on his back until I flipped him over. He was about the size of the palm of my hand :S
Tui the DogTui the Dog
Tui the Dog

Made friends with us after feeding her some prime rib one night


Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.1297s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb