Island retreat


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Viti Levu » Coral Coast
June 4th 2005
Published: June 13th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Fiji rugby crowdsFiji rugby crowdsFiji rugby crowds

Room for a wee one (Fiji v NZ Maoris)
The flight from LA to Fiji is as long as from London to LA, so arriving at 3 in the morning having crossed the international date line we were a wee bit weary. We had to wait for 4 hours for the connecting shuttle bus to take us to our accomodation and despite the seating in the arrival lounge not being the most comfortable I still managed to catch some shut eye, while Sara caught up on her crosswords (Esther you would be proud!).

Even at the planning stage of this trip we had decided that Fiji was always going to be a rest stop after the past 3 months of travelling non stop (its harder work than you think!!). Everything went according to plan and the most energy we expended was getting in and out of hammocks and walking along the beach.

Our accomodation in The Beach House was situated right on the Coral Coast and the cabana that we stayed in for 4 nights was a significant improvement from the one in Mexico!!

On the last day we had booked to go on a trip to see Fiji play New Zealand Maoris at rugby in Suva. Our trip there gave us a chance to see some more of the coast line and have a short wander around the capital. It was a beautiful sunny day, almost too hot to sit in the direct sun in a packed stadium. Thankfully the number of people around us provided adequate shade. The match was preceded by an entertaining police brass band (who also danced - only in Fiji!!) and then both sides performed there countrys version of the Haka. It was a real "local derby" and an entertaining and hard hitting game. Sadly Fiji just lost in the final minutes.

On our way back to the beach house, our bus driver stopped and asked one of his mates if he could take Sara and I to the airport later that night. Later that night we were collected by Sam and squeezed into an already full minibus. The typical Fiji hospitality extended to giving me their seat in exchange for a place on the floor. Sara rode up front with Sam!! We were once again touched by the friendliness and warmth of the Fijian people and the 90 minute journey to the airport flew by.

Fiji is definitely
Sara's soaking!!Sara's soaking!!Sara's soaking!!

Swept away by the tide!!
on both of our lists of places to return to in the future....



Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb