To Gau!


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Suva
June 26th 2007
Published: June 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I woke up having finished writing emails as best I could and generally sorting out breakfast. The alarm clock provided by the lovely staff of the Holiday Inn didn't work btu luckily I had been paranoid enough to set my laptop alarm clock.
I packed frantically (which is no easy task when you can't bend your finger) and caught a taxi to Nausori airport. The taxis in Fiji seem to have all passed a test certifying that they are all extremely rickety, loud and lack brakes of any form. However, this taxi driver was slightly different. A very friendly guy who introduced himself as Joe, and who could talk for ages on the most mundane subjects, gesticulating wildly with his hands and driving at amazing speeds using only telekinetic powers to steer.
Anyway, it was during one of these conversations that the subject drifted to the issue of the Indian population of Fiji, which is long established and now rivals the size of the indigenous Fijian population.
Joe made his distaste of the indian population and his support of the coup which shattered a multi-ethnic constitution quite clear, yet for all this hate there was a strange contrasting effect brought on by the Fijian outlook on life. "We are friendly people. If someone hits us, we say 'OK, that's the end of that, let's move on.'"
A very turn-the-other-cheek kind of attitude. Joe smiled at me, "These Indians, they are lucky to be with us Fijians (smiling, laugh). If They were in any other country in the world, not so friendly country, then (smacks fist in palm of hand - pause - then a grin and laughter.)
I realized then that this country has great cultural divides, yet the different sides manage to remain relatively conflict free, all thanks to this strange mix of pacifism (in the pacific) and a very laid-back attitude.
I tipped Joe and he gave me his address, "Maybe someday we go into business together - you are a good guy!".

Advertisement



Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb