We're on Fiji time. Except when we see a HUGE spider the size of my leg!


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Nadi
January 28th 2009
Published: January 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

BULA!! (Which means Hello in Fijian)

We've just arrived back from the Yasawa Islands which are islands of the North West Coast of the main land. We have a pass which meant we could spend 5 nights at any of the island resorts for however many nights we liked. We set off on a catermaran type thing for a 4 hour journey to a place called long beach. The locals from the resort would come and collect us from the ship in their fisherman boats and they would take us to the reosrt, as soon as we stepped off the boat the heavans opened and it started to rain, I mean monsoon rain mixed with a little bit of hail - even Noah himself would have been proud!. So there we are in the middle of the pacific ocean in a tiny fishermans boat going at 60mph - our introduction to the Yasawa Islands.

The island was pretty quiet....we were the only people there we could have renamed it Mezza 'n' Jezza Island. Very nice beach and people. We only stayed there 1 night before we moved to our next destination. We met a lovely guy on the island called Arnold who was instanly recognisiable by his bright orange hat... he was from Holland!

Our next stop was called White Sandy Beach, although it sounds corny this would prove to be our favourite of all the islands. The people were fantastic, they sang us a welcome song as we got off the boat and gave us coconuts to drink, not quite Waitrose Organic milk but we grinned and beared it. Our room was sweet with showers outside. Our room was literally on the beach surrounded by palm and coconut trees and lots of hammocks - total paradise. The locals were awesome, the people who were also travelling were equally entertaining!
Jez went snorkling lots whilst I plucked up the courage to do it, I prefered to lay on the beach and look at the Hermit Crabs... I am slightly mental though! We stayed there for 2 nights, Jez in this time was determined to crack his own coconut but everytime he tried the locals took pity and came and helped him - bless! The funniest thing was when we introduced ourselves they understood my name no problem but could not quite pronounce the Z in Jez and instead called him Jess... from now on please everyone can you call Jez, Jess as he loves it!!

We met a lovely Irish and American couple who we formed a little mature, grown up clan with. There were quite a few singles there who could not handle their soda. Jezza and the Irish guy went to have a Kava session with the locals on the 2nd night. (Kava is a Fijian root which when blended up with special herbs and spices added it becomes hallucinagenic) when he came back to the room he found the biggest spider on the floor a bit bigger than his fist. I was face down in the mattress not even thinking about looking, the pesky spider would not leave so unfortunately Jez (or Jess) had to kill and his weapon of choice was my hairbrush... nice!!

Our next 2 stops were fun but quiet, I managed to get sunburnt wearing factor 40 and in the shade, I couldnt really walk much so had to hang back a bit whilst Jess had all the fun. He went up onto the top of the islands(the majority of the islands look like something out of Lost), he went snorkling and saw some reef sharks. I eventually plucked up the courage to go snorkling and saw a fish about 4ft long, I then saw a jelly fish about half a foot long and decided to head back in for land!

We're both pretty brown and the mosquitos have been fairly kind. We are off to the south coast for 2 days before heading back to Nadi (largest town in Fiji and where the airport is) for our flight which leaves for NZ 3pm sunday.

Amanda, I don't know how to upload photos yet but will do as soon as I figure out how. You would love the beaches here my friend - everytime I see a burnt blonde sitting in the sun I think of you.

Love to everyone

Mez "n" Jess
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx



Advertisement



28th January 2009

Jessie!
Yep, still vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv jealous. So glad that you're having fun. You're not missing much here in drizzly old England - enjoy!!!! x

Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb