Fiji


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Nadi
July 9th 2008
Published: July 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bula!

Apologies for the late entry, we've gotten lazy since we got to the US. Heres what happened in Fiiji..

When we arrived we were more than happy to discover how hot it was after 2 weeks spent in wintery Australia. We were picked up by the nice hotel man and taken to Bluewater Lodge which was in Nadi (pronounced Nandi) which was really lovely and had a pool so we were quite happy there for the next few days. Although the beach there was black sand so not as aluring as imagined.
But on the monday we were off to the Yasawas Islands to stay on a few resorts the next week. This involved getting a boat from the port and choosing which islands we wanted to go to. We had bought a Bula Pass from Awesome Adventures which is the company that runs the transport, and also an accommodation pass which meant we could stay at a number of different resorts as long as they were on the awesome adventures list. BUt there were quite a few to choose from and all islands were beautiful long stretchs of white sandy beaches and the loveliest friendly staff who would do any thing to keep you happy, and basically sang all the time.
When you arrive on each island the staff of the resort will come out and sing a welcome song to you and at the end you have to say Bula which means hello and welcome, you will then shake hands with them all and be shown to the resort. It was a very strange experience at forst, but you got used to it after a few times.
Heres a map of the islands for a looky: http://www.fiji-island.com/yasawas.html
The first island we went to was Coral View, which was relaly nice but dorm rooms were a bit shabby.. The beach was great though and we also did a bit of snorkling while we were there which was amazing. Apparently there were sharks in the sea too, but they were said to be harmless and i was very brave, all we saw were fishys and start fish and a wicked clam farm and lots of really beautiful coral. Each night they have different sorts of entertainment on, including the staff singing songs after dinner and performing their local dances. And once night i even tryed out a bit of limbo, im actually quite good! (watch out black eagles.. haha).
Next we went to Long Beach island, which was a smaller resort and family run, with a really long beach (hence the name) so we did lots of swimming and also lots of vollyball which was great fun. The food was really good, each island does the same sort of foods, and they call you for meals by banging on big drums so that wherever you are on the island you knows its time to eat.
The next island we went to was called Waya Lailai, which was quite popular, there were quite a few people staying there, and it actually looked quite a lot like the island from Lost and quite a spectacular view when you come in on the boat. There was even more entertainment in the evenings, including Kava drinking and Bula dancing. Then we also visited a nearby village to see the church and school and to watch a rugby match which was our island against another one, so that was quite cool to watch and got to mingle with the locals and buy home made jewelery from the women at the village.
The last island we went to was Manta Ray island, which is known for it's manta Rays, which you can actually go and swim with or just go snorkling or kayaking. There was lots more sunbathing and swimming and coconut eating, and even did a bit of jewelery making and some yoga on the beach. Then we headed back to the main land where we hung out for a bit and then flew to America. A very long flight which involves going back in time by 3 hours, but we eventually got there. But will tell more about that later cos i have to go.

Much love xxx





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb