Goodbye to New Zealand


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Nadi
May 24th 2008
Published: May 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi

I have now arrived in Fiji after a more laid back last few days in New Zealand all be it with a lot of travelling involved.

The night after Fly by Wire me, Nicole, Kathrin and team Sweeden (named by bus driver Jono) all hung out in team Sweedens room and just had a fun few hours.

The next morning me and team Sweeden headed to Milford Sounds. It took about 5 hours to get there along some really impressive roads with lots of mountains many of which were snow capped. Milford Sounds is not actually that far from Queenstown its just the roads do not go directly there. When we got to the Sound (actually a ford) we got on our cruise, ate to much of the buffet lunch and then went out on the deck to do some sight seeing. It didn't rain when we were on the boat (it rains 300 days a year there) but was really windy. There were still some really impressive waterfalls some which were 3 times as high as the Niagara Falls. After about an hour and a half on the boat we went to the underwater observatory which only goes 10 metres but because of the nature of the Sound, you can see fish which are normally found much deeper. Then after about 30 minutes there we got back on a boat and headed back to the harbour and then straight on the bus and four hours back to Queenstown.

We all went out that night, started in the hostel bar and then went to World Bar and had a few teapots. It wasn't the best night ever but still good fun.

The next morning we were on the last leg of the Kiwi experience to Christchurch. This was another long day travelling with just a couple of short stops to break up the journey. It had snowed on fairly low ground the night before so there was a bit on the ground. After watching a funny Kiwi comedy show and a not so good Kiwi film we got to Christchurch at about 5pm. I went out with some people in my room that night including team Bristol (again named by Jono and again just a two people team) and then met up with Kathrin and Nicole in the bar and had a really fun night.

Yesterday morning I got the bus out to the Christchurch Gondola and went up Mt Cavendish which is meant to yield some amazing views of Christchurch and the banks peninsula unfortunitly like has happened before it was exstremely cloudy up there and I couldn't see more then about 2 metres away. After just a short time there I got the bus back to town and then on to the airport. I had two flights (1 to Auckland then onto Nadi) and was sitting in the same seat next to the same people on both flights.

It was quick to get through Nadi airport and easy to find the transfer to the hotel. I went out with a Californian for a drink in he hostel bar then went to bed.

New Zealand summary
Highlights
Jumping off and out off too many things
The Luge races
Queenstown
Glacier hiking
The friendly locals who are constantly joking about (river rafting guys were particularly funny)
The spectacular scenary (particularly in the south)
The friendly other travellers I met.
Some of the Crazy drivers (Jono and Dallas)

Lowlights
Hungover rough boat crossing between the islands.
Missing the Torongerio Crossing

Quotes
Ich bin urrrgh (Kathrin feeling a bit rough)
I don't speak Swiss (me not thinking about what I am saying)
Has anyone flipped it today.
No its been really boring (River rafting guys)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb