AKL - TVU


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Nadi
November 20th 2007
Published: November 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

AKL-TAV


Arriving in NadiArriving in NadiArriving in Nadi

At the airport - trying to figure out what to do wiht our bags
Day started bright and early with a 4:50am wake up call. We were at the airport by 5:45am, and sitting comfortably in the Air New Zealand lounge by 6. Quite the spread at this lounge - with a full hot breakfast and coffee bar, mutiple PSP stations available for use, computers, the works. We have really been enjoying traveling on Air New Zealand - I think dan would defect from united if the flew more conveniently for us!

Flight to Nadi (or Nandi - you will see it written and said both ways) was nice and easy. Watched a movie, had some food, and read a little and we were there bright and early about 10am (with the time change). Since we had some time before our connecting flight - 2pm, we decided to take a trip to town to walk around a while. Took a taxi to town, purused the gift shops (would love to go back...lots of fun knick knack stuff that they get you to buy "for the village" - which you know i am a sucker for), hit up an internet cafe (the funniest place - it was internet and gaming, and there were a bunch of kids around a tv playing Play station or someone or other, it was cute), grabbed some lunch, and headed back to the airport. Nadi is probably one of the biggest towns in Fiji, so it was quite overwhelming and kinda dingy. What i didnt expect and didn't know about was the indian influence in Fiji - between the people, temples, restaurants and feeling - it was pretty cool.

Got back to the airport about 1 and checked in for our flight at 2 to Taveuni. We even had to jump up on the scale for the bags so they can get an accurate count - i don't think i really realized what i was getting into. No tickets, they said just wait for the departure to be called. It was, and 8 of us made our way through security check and got our assigned row number from the man with the clipboard. This plane, when i say it was tiny - it made the helicopter look big. We climbed aboard buckled in, and i shook like a little girl. The first officer turned around, gave us the welcome and "buckle your seat belts" message, and we were off.
Internet & GamingInternet & GamingInternet & Gaming

At the internet cafe (really cheap) - the kids gather to play games
Man, what a flight. It was loud, bumpy, an cloudy outside, so i put my ipod on and took a nap - felt like the best way to deal. And before i knew it, we were there! We arrived on a paved runway (thank g-d), to see a bunch of locals on top of the airport watching our arrival. The airport - if you could call it that - was nothing more than an open sided "shack" - and it seemed a bunch of people came to welcome us (but i think in reality they were there to get some boxes off the plane with supplies).

We were greated by Babu and driven around the corner to our place for the next few days. When we arrived we were greeted by the entire staff with a song, a lei, and a nice coconut to drink. And we were shown to our villa - it is beautiful. I swear, i think we over did it here - but then again, it is our honeymoon and we deserve it! We have our own villa with our own lap pool and beach access. there are only two villas here at traveuni palms, so we have basically a personal chef when we are ready to eat, and everything else on request. what a place. we had some fruit and banana muffins for a snack, then both got massages with the sound of the rolling ocean in the background. Dinner a little later - fried root plants (like potatoes) with a cocount pesto dip, hot papaya soup served in the papaya shell, grilled yellow fin tuna over fijian vegetables - AMAZING! enough to clearly knock me out for the rest of the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

BoardingBoarding
Boarding

Yea, I'm not scared.
We have arrived!We have arrived!
We have arrived!

Check out the locals watching from the roof
Bula Bula!Bula Bula!
Bula Bula!

Welcome to Fiji!
The outdoor showerThe outdoor shower
The outdoor shower

Just showing you how its done.
Snacks on the Bula DeckSnacks on the Bula Deck
Snacks on the Bula Deck

Fruit and Banana Muffins with a cool ocean breeze.


22nd November 2007

OMG
What else can I say...except that relax and enjoy!!
22nd November 2007

And I was jealous of New Zealand
You've really stepped it up now! Bula Bula indeed! You've left my realm of reality in the dust, I'm looking forward to how you can top this. Been wonderful getting the updates, looking forward to more.
22nd November 2007

wow! great pictures
i love looking at you rpictures. especially the zorb! happy thanksgiving. love, Bailey!!

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb