Stunning Pacific Islands


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Nadi
July 9th 2007
Published: July 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

As we arrived in Fiji we instantly felt the heat, even though it was in the evening, and were greeted at the airport with a fijian band playing traditional music. Straight away we knew we were gonna love fiji. Our first impressions couldn't be any more true! We have had such a great time here and are glad we decided to come for almost a month instead of just a few days like most people do on there way home. We settled into our hostel and prepared the the exciting day ahead of us. We were of of the postcard-picture-perfect beachs of the Yasawa Islands. Whilst cruising between islands we had awesome fews of islands we couldn't visit but the ones we did were great. The first Island- 'Nanya leilei' was a larger island. We got of the ferrie and boarding the resort boat for our brief journey to the island. As we reached shore we were greeted with 'Bula!!...welcome home!' and songs before getting to know everyone at lunch. On the islands we explored the beaches-including the beautiful 'Blue Lagoon' where the film was made, we snorkelled alot, sunbathed, went fishing, had cocktails on the beach etc ect- tropical paradise. After visiting the islands we decided to go on the 'Fiji Experience', which is a tour around the mainland. It is advertised to see the 'Real Fiji' and that it did. We went to local villages to see there way of life and a local school, which was such an eye opener. The kids were so happy and lively but the school was lacking facilities and teachers- only 2 had turned up that day as the others had to go shopping! So the older students taught the younger ones. The kids loved us visiting and loved their photo being taken so they could see the picture on the digital camera screen after. After the tour of the school we were treated to watch the students perform a fijian war dance. The boys dressed in grass skirts and danced whilst the girls sang along. It was so cool to watch especially as they loved the attention!! We also done lots of activities including sandboarding, bamboo rafting, trekking through the highlands, tubing down the river, bathing in natural mud pools then washing off in the natural spa and enjoying many Kava nights. Kava is a fijian narcotic drink that is used instead of alcohol to socialise and relax. You all sit around a huge bowl where the kava is made and the bowl goes around each person. Its hard to exlpain if fully but anyway David loved it (I wasn't so keen).
Whilst having an awesome time we also met some great people whom we hope to stay good friends with. So as you can imagine when it was time for them to go back to Oz (to work- they are british) it was a bit sad. Our last week there we spent our time doing nothing. We did get on a local bus to the resort where 'Love Island' was filmed, we stayed there for a couple of nights but prefered the place we were staying in Nadi- a Hostel called Mama's Tropic of Capricorn. It was such a chilled out and personal hostel where Mama looked after her 'children'!. We are definately placing Fiji at out top drstination so far.
Next was the Cook Islands and Tahiti- both beautiifull but we didn't really have enough time to explore- esp tahiti, it was in and out (although we did treat ourselves to staying at the Sheriton, although we felt out of place with no dosh!) Next we are off to LA for our last 3 wks to explore California and around.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



10th July 2007

Hi ya hun As lovely as it all looks when are you coming home? Cant wait to catch up Enjoy yourselfs

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb