Mmmmmm svilly baba!


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Mamanuca Islands
May 20th 2009
Published: May 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ok, so we arrived onto South Sea Island, the first tiny wee island in the first group of Mamanuca islands that you see from Nadi and it is very small; blink and you'll miss it.

Unfortunately, we werent welcomed quite as energetically as other islands, as in there was nobody waiting for us and they were more bothered about setting up their new stereo than checking us all in. So we were stood around for a good like 15 minutes until somebody asked what was going on, to which we were like barked orders n jus given a bed number. Thanks for the welcome!??!? So we were all feeling somewhate dispirited, but we reminded ourselves we were with a bunch of cool people, and we were in Fiji, with a bar downstairs, so all was not lost! We had a very funny night of hermit crab racing and a number of party games including pass the carrot between the knees and the orange under the neck. All fun times :-)

We were all up early the next day, after a yum brekfast of beans on toast to climb aboard Seaspray for our days sailing adventure. It was like 80ft long so plenty of room for all of us; the added bonus being all food and alcohol was included in the price we paid. And as backpackers are given such a bad name (which majoritively is not true) we thought we may as well take advantage of the free alcohol! It wasd fair to say our bags were a bit heavier on the way home! :-)

Our first stop was Modriki island, the very island where tom hanks filmed Castaway; there are actually lots of islands near by but its very beautiful and rugged. We had a bit of a snorkel, got slightly put off when i got stung on my lip but never mind! I was then attempting to frolick gracefully in the shallows, like u c in all the movies, ya its not easy! But we had a good giggle in the sun; our very own steve irwin (swedish alex, total adventure junkie) was chasing reef sharks again 8-)

The horn sounded for lunch time and naturally, living up to a 'backpacker' name we were first in queue, how yummy was the food!? Barbeque and lots of fruit n salads mmmmmm :-) Then we tootled along to a wee local village where we were to be treated to a kava ceremony. Kava is a narcotic drink made from the roots of a pepper plant, they grow it for like 6 7 years, and then dry out the root. They then powder it up and thenn add water. And that is what it looks like,muddy water. You acceopt graciously from the chief, clap and say bula and then drink it from half a coconut. It doesnt really taste of much tbh, but it defo makes your tongue feel a bi furry and lips go a bit numb! Our guide said it made you a better lover apparently! haha so then we wandered through the ladies wee market with all sorts of trinkets and shel jewelry etc. i got a bit panicked a si thought the boat had left without me but they were jus cooing over a wee puppy with grossly infected eyes.

We had a great run back to Denarau, all very merry and reminiscing on our great week had by all. We were all staying evry near to each other, right on the beach in nadi bay so we all met up that evening to watch some more dancing. Fiji is influenced by a many number of places, some of the dances have very polynesian influences, there were some girls doing hula dances and there is also quite a large sector of indo-fijian. Which makes for a delightful bunch of people to be quite honest, the fijians honestly probably are the friendliest people iv ever met!

Had a couple of days to chill out back in Nadi, do the washing, go on the internet etc. Catch up with the lovely staff at Aquarius hotel, they all know my name and are sooo sweet. I still have a week left in Fiji, woop :-)

Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb