Fiji


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Mamanuca Islands » Malolo Lailai
March 6th 2011
Published: March 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Spot the DogSpot the DogSpot the Dog

Spot adopted us during our stay at the homestay, but he wanted to follow us everywhere - difficult when you are taking a bus into town.

Saturday 26th February – Fiji Bound


Packed up the van and left it in Auckland, to fly out to the beautiful Fiji islands:

Fiji Time – As we fly into Fiji, we realise that time starts to warp in a strange island way. The bus to the village might be here some time, or maybe we’ve missed the last one – who knows!
Express Bus – A crowded two hour bus trip in pitch black with rain lashing down is only partially lifted by the film (Universal Soldier) with soundtrack reverberating throughout the bus.
Homestay – Finally the bus stops and disgorges us into the hands of our host, Sake and then the wonderful Fijian feast prepared by his lovely wife Toupoe.



Sunday 27th February – Quiet Village Sunday


There are no cafes or restaurants in Namatakula village and only a tiny kiosk shop, although there are two churches and it is Sunday:

The Beach – As we rise in the daylight we realise that someone has put a beach just a few metres from the door of our room – what are the chances of that happening?
Island Worship – Having met the pastor the
Bright Lights, Village StyleBright Lights, Village StyleBright Lights, Village Style

Behind you lap the waters of the South Pacific ocean, so this sign only attracting the fish.
previous night, we get a name check in the morning service and the odd English phrase thrown in during the sermon – those Fijians certainly love to sing and praise the lord!
Namatakula – 450 residents, who all know (and are related to) each other, but little to do on a Sunday afternoon other than to stroll along the beach and through the village saying Bula to everyone.



Monday 28th February – Fiji Style Touring


A long day of seeing and doing all things Fijian, both in the village and further afield:

School Tour – We get a personal tour of the local school (approx. 120 pupils) along with singing and rhymes from the littlest ones (bless!) – very impressed by the standard of education and English speaking.
Sigatoka Tour – After exploring Sigatoka town markets with Toupoe we take a bus to yet another jet boat, this time off to an interior village. The pilot assured us that cannibalism in the island was definitely over now, with last recorded missionary eaten in1870s.
Village Tour – A magical visit to an interior village, complete with welcoming Yaqona (Kava) preparation ceremony, Kava drinking, chanting, praying, eating, singing
Ready for it This TimeReady for it This TimeReady for it This Time

A seasoned jet boat passenger signals the OK for a trip to the Fijian village.
and dancing, then rather incongruously, several 360 spins in the jet boat on the way back.



Tuesday 1st March – Namatakula to Lautoka


A final cold outdoor shower, sad goodbyes and off to Lautoka to pick up the cruise ship:

Farewell to Hosts – A goodbye to our wonderful host Toupoe and the pastor hitches a lift with us for the 2 hour high speed taxi drive to Lautoka.
Lautoka – An hour to explore this busy sea port town, after checking in for the cruise and checking flipper sizes.
MV Fiji Princess – Onto the boat (56 passengers) and we head straight off to the Yasawa islands for some paradise island exploring.



Wednesday 2nd March – Village Life, Island Styley


A morning visit to Navatua beach-side village and an afternoon of snorkelling off Liku beach:

Island Village – More of the village people thing, but this time a little more relaxed, with a small island mentality and lots of shell products on sale – same old kava drinking, singing and dancing though…
Offshore Snorkelling – This time snorkelling from a tender some way offshore, with beautiful coral reefs and colourful fish
Before the Motion Sickness Sets InBefore the Motion Sickness Sets InBefore the Motion Sickness Sets In

Deborah poses for a shot along the side of the cruise ship before it starts getting a little choppy...
– for those back in blighty the sea water is 28C!
Singalong – No cruise evening would be complete without a singalong – did I mention that those Fijians love to sing?



Thursday 3rd March – Notes from a Private Island


Off to the cruise company’s private island of Nanuya Lailai for a whole day of beach based activities, barbecue lunch and lovo dinner:

Fish Feeding – Several loaves of bread later and hoards of hungry fish satisfied – think piranha and then add the fun of frisbying slices of bread out to the unsuspecting snorkellers…
Water Sports – Kayaking, spy boarding, snorkelling, swimming, sunbathing etc – tough job but someone has to do it.
Beach Volleyball – Clearly the crew had practiced a lot more than the guests, so luckily the “no dinner for the losers” stakes never materialised.



Friday 4th March – Off to Malolo Lailai


A final morning on the ship and then off to the exclusive (no kids) Lomani Island resort on the idyllic tiny island of Malolo LaiLai:

Catching Tuna – Watched as the cruise boat crew pulled in an enormous tuna from a drag line at
Ship to ShoreShip to ShoreShip to Shore

The boat manages to drop anchor a stones throw from the private island.
the stern of the boat – tonight’s dinner for someone.
Malolo Cat – A 45 minute catamaran transfer from Denarau Island (on the edge of mainland Viti Levu) to Malolo Lailai.
Flame Tree – A leisurely romantic meal at the resort’s small restaurant, sitting under a flame tree, watching the sun set over the water…



Saturday 5th March – Island Life


Our only full day on Malolo Lailai, so we did some typically resorty things:

Snorkelling – A bit more time exploring the reef, plus some fishy business as lumps of bread are freely distributed around the boat and a piscine bunfight (literally) ensues.
Musket Cove – Some wandering round the small island nets us lunch at an intimate little café overlooking a small cove containing a few sail boats and a seaplane.
Spa Stuff – Treatments and massages with the local spa lady and the world really starts to move at "Fiji time" pace.



Sunday 6th March – Last Day in Fiji


With a 10:30PM flight to Honolulu, we make the most of our last day in the South Pacific before packing for the next leg:

Hobie Cat – Bushed up
Tough Job...Tough Job...Tough Job...

Simon shows how hard it can be to walk the 50 metres from the tender to the deck chairs and hammock area.
on the sailing skills, so we could take the small two-man catamaran out far enough to run aground on the narrow sand bar in the middle of the off-shore water – very cool indeed!
Coconut Alert – Deborah thanks her lucky stars as a large coconut drops out of a tree right beside her! Simon searches for the insurance policy documents.
Port Denarau – A round of last minute souvenir and gift hunting in the stylish marina based shops back on the mainland, before heading to Nadi airport for the night flight to Hawaii.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

No Place to Shelter in a StormNo Place to Shelter in a Storm
No Place to Shelter in a Storm

With this many coconut palms, it is only a matter of time - no wonder it is one of the commonest forms of accidental death.
Fish of the DayFish of the Day
Fish of the Day

The saying takes on a whole new meaning as the crew haul in a catch and send it straight to the kitchens.
Life's a BeachLife's a Beach
Life's a Beach

The beach in front of our Malolo Lailai resort looks good enough for a few days R&R.
View from the RoomView from the Room
View from the Room

Can't quite believe our luck when we look out over the South Pacific from our living room at Lomani resort.
Sea CreatureSea Creature
Sea Creature

Proof, if any needed, that there are some strange creatures in the ocean depths.
Hobie CatsHobie Cats
Hobie Cats

Long range view of the catamarans, one of which we sailed around the bay, luckily missing assorted ferrries, jet skis, snorkellers and swimmers.
The Jealousy ShotThe Jealousy Shot
The Jealousy Shot

Just couldn't resist taking a shot of my somewhat relaxed feet...
Captain BirdseyeCaptain Birdseye
Captain Birdseye

Simon rekindles his long-lost sailing skills, with Able Seaman Blakemore in support.


8th March 2011
Spot the Dog

Adopted dog
I'm an experienced dog sitter. I could have helped out. Definitely something to think about next time you venture into canine adoption....you never know when I might come in useful on a holiday like this.

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb