Fiji, the island of relaxation


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Malolo
March 11th 2015
Published: March 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Landed at Nadi airport on Fiji. Got driven to the port to catch a speed boat to Malolo island, passed some roadworks where a local worker was dancing in middle of rad junction as he was directing traffic. He was doing Michael Jackson hand movements in directing traffic to turn left, right and go straight and his feet were dancing as the traffic moved around him, it was brilliant to watch (what it is to like your job).

Boarded the speed boat and took off as high speed across the ocean. 30 minutes later were landed at Malolo and was greeted in Fijian way with singing and clapping. We were presented with a garland of sea shells and taken to a welcoming local drink, wet cold flannel and an tour of the small resort.

Next morning we woke to a blue sky, turquoise sea and waving palm trees. Stepped out of our ocean bure onto the beach and found a couple of chairs under the shade. We has arrived in paradise again. The only noise was lapping waves and leaves gently falling from the overhanging tree onto the sand. You don't get that in Watford!!!!

On Wednesday we went on a trip to see a local school. Well, the kids club from our resort came with us as this was their culture trip as well. Boarded a boat and off we went to another island approx 30 mins away around our island in a different direction. Hopped off at the shore and entered the school ground through a hole in the fence. We were welcomed by year class 6 & 7 who sang three songs and then proudly showed us aound their classrooms. We saw the library which was a sorry state as we have more reading books at home than they had in their library. The children showed us their computer room which had 8 desk top computers but when we asked them how often they went on the computers they replied, in a sad way, not often as they do not have electricity that often. It was heart breaking. The school had 150 children ranging from nursery to year 9 and has 7 teachers. A good morning's trip was had by one and all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb