Explosives and time travel.


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
November 3rd 2012
Published: November 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Did I say next stop the Cook Islands? . . we almost didn't make it, as little did I know I was travelling with a terrorist . . when Geen got stopped and was randomly searched, her hand luggage tested positive for explosives!!! I had already passed through customs so was completely unaware of the mayhem unravelling behind me, thinking Bloomy was just making eyes at the Security guards as usual (ha!), but no, after being subjected to a sniffer dog and frisking, she was finally allowed through, looking completely unruffled. That's my girl!

Having left NZ on Thursday 16th July, we arrived in Rarotonga on Wednesday the 15th July. No, this is not a typing error. After a 4 hour flight, we passed through the international dateline and gained 22 hours. I still can't get my head around this.

Waiting for our lift to Vara's beach house, we were dismayed that no garlands around the neck greeted us, just a filthy hovel, full of cobwebs, miles (or it felt like it) up a hill. Downhearted about our crappy accommodation, we decided to cheer ourselves up by taking the bus into the township to get provisions for a lovely spag bol, which we cooked with the couple who were staying upstairs, Phil and Tara, who we previously met in Kaikora, NZ (such a small world!) . THIS WAS THE MOST DISGUSTING SPAG BOL WE HAVE EVER EATEN. Undeterred, we had a little walk on the beach. I have to say, this alone made up for our dire digs and vile dinner. Absolutely stunning.

Things only got better when we moved to another guesthouse, Aremangos, which at $60 a room, was more expensive, but so worth it. A warm shower and clean bed makes all the difference. All we needed next was the weather to improve so that we could enjoy this beautiful island more. Also, we were running out of books to read! (these were the days before the kindle).

The weather continued to be variable, but we managed to enjoy a few days on the beach, Geen hired a bike with some of the other travellers, breakfasting at the Yellow Hibiscus cafe, to sample the $6 pancake with caramelised fruit. We also hired a car to explore the little island. We went kayaking to a small island off Rarotonga and generally enjoyed having a lazy time of it. We also met Debbie and Tim, a lovely couple from Cheshire who, since our travels have got married and had a baby. It was with them that we sampled what Cook Islanders offered in the way of nightlife and island shows. Going to Trader Jacks, Banana Court, Whatever Bar and Rehab Club and ending up with a portion of chips with chickensalt and the last bus home . . a Saturday night out is the same the world over!

The rest of the time spent on Rarotonga seemed to be all sunbathing, reading and watching DVDs. Pure luxury.

We were told that a must do is a visit to the island of Aitutaki, so we booked a flight and 3 nights accommodation for $535 which included a lagoon trip. Bargain.

We arrived at our place at the Popoara Ocean Breeze Villas after a 45 minute flight on little chicken chaser of a plane. The following day we went on a cruise around the island, stopping at One Foot Island, where they stamp your passport with a picture of a foot! They made us a delicious buffet lunch -the barbecued waho fish was amazing and then Geen and I waded over to a sandbar which we had solely to ourselves. It was breathtaking, we had truly found paradise. We then went to the island where the contestants of the TV program, Survivor, who were voted off, sent to and also to Tiger and Shark islands, which were used for the filming of the program, Shipwrecked.

On the journey back, our Captain, called Captain Peaches, demonstrated how to husk and grate a coconut and how to make a fruit bowl and a hat out of the coconut leaves, which Geen was dragged up to bravely model. Since our travels, we have never had chance to put to use our newly acquired coconut husking skills. Still it was a fabulous day with many beautiful memories.



Back at Popoara, we decided to treat ourselves to a lovely meal on our last night. We ate at the Boatshed - curry and rice pudding. Our only experience of eating out during our whole 3 weeks on the Cook Islands and we loved every morsel!

The flight back to Rarotonga was pretty horrific - turbulence all the way and poor ole Geen suffered badly. As we touched down we were cheesed off to find that the weather had worsened and that we would have to wait for a bus back to our little guesthouse. However, a lovely couple of women, Renee and Eliza, kindly offered us a lift, as well as inviting us back to have tea and meet their family. Incredible, eh? We had to sadly decline because it was our last night before we prepared ourselves for the madness that is LA baby!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1021.3kb