Kia Orana!


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
July 8th 2006
Published: July 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Traditional Fijian DancingTraditional Fijian DancingTraditional Fijian Dancing

Check out those grass skirts!
Kia Orana and Bula!

Well, as you may know, our Australian experience ended last week. But before heading for home we decided to break up the long journey with a week ijn Fiji and a week in the Cook Islands. Both are island nations in the South Pacific and share a similar indigenous culture - including grass skirts, drumming and loud shirts!

We arrived in Fiji in the rain, and it stayed that way for most of the week - cloudy and wet, which was a shame because the main island on which we stayed was very pretty and lush and green with long palm fringed beaches and apparently it had good diving and snorkelling, none of which we sampled as it was too rough and raining. However, the hotel was very posh, being the only place with rooms availiable it would seem and the food was good and the cocktails even better!

We were lucky enough to see a cultural show though, with traditional dancing, singing and even firewalking, which one particular Fijian tribe is famous for. It was quite impressive - and they definatley werent faking it, we saw the flames!

The Cook Islands had
OOooooooooow!OOooooooooow!OOooooooooow!

Firewalking - not to be attempted at home!
much better weather - and the main island of Raratonga was everything you could hope for in a tropical island. Its the only place we have been to in our whole trip that actually looks just like the glossy brochures! The sea is an impossible turquoise, with long white sand beaches and palm trees aplenty! The island is so small you can drive around it in less than an hour, but it still keeps its local feeling and so far isnt over developed, without too many massive resorts. Everyone is so friendly and the restaurants are great. And there are plenty of coconuts to be found to keep Steve busy!

We hired a scooter and travelled about the 2 roads, exploring gardens and beaches and yummy places to eat. But of course before you can ride your scooter, you must obtain a licence from the police station. Which is the other side of the island, so you have to ride your scooter to the police station to be able to get a licence to ride your scooter! Which costs $10 from the hut in the car park with the hand written sign! Steve is very proud of his Cook
Funky HutFunky HutFunky Hut

Actually, tis a traditional temple. But what a roof!
Islands driving licence. Easier to get than a UK one...

The edges of the Cook Islands are surrounded by coral reefs and beautiful lagoons full of colourful tropical fish and coral and the snorkelling and diving was great. Didnt manage to find any pearl oysters though, even though this is one of the only places in the world where black pearls occur naturally.

We went to an Island Night at one of the bars in town to see the traditional drumming and dancing which is like Hula, with all the grass skirts and hip wiggling - only they call it something else. Steve of course ended up being dragged up on stage when they were trying to teach people how to do it...all very hilarious!

And so we enjoyed our lazy week on Raratonga the way the last week of any trip ahould be spent - doing very little, sunbathing, swimming and eating and drinking. Relaxation in preparation for the long journey ahead!

and so to the airport...

Rozi and Steve
xxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Fijian Sunset!Fijian Sunset!
Fijian Sunset!

The cloud did make the sunsets impressive.
Outrigger CanoeOutrigger Canoe
Outrigger Canoe

Still used in the south pacific for catching fish the old fashioned way.
Beautiful beachesBeautiful beaches
Beautiful beaches

With such clear water, you could see so many fish!
6 Months and no haircut!6 Months and no haircut!
6 Months and no haircut!

This is how long Steve's hair had got!
Island Night!Island Night!
Island Night!

Doing the Hula!
The DVLAThe DVLA
The DVLA

or a hut in the car park. Whatever works best.
Our little piece of paradiseOur little piece of paradise
Our little piece of paradise

After travelling for 6 months we finally found it. Now then, 24 hour flight home anyone???


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb