Aitutaki


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Aitutaki
August 15th 2008
Published: August 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Another lazy day on the beach!

We headed off after a leisurely breakfast to the beach around the Samade Bar which was about five mins walk away. We’d heard this was the best beach but it wasn’t a vast improvement on our own beach, plus there were no loungers for us to use. But we spent the morning laying in the shade there as it was way to hot to lay directly in the sun. We didn’t go in the water as it was muddy and there were crabs everywhere (although they do run for their holes quickly when you start to walk towards them)!

Around lunchtime we set off on a walk along the other side of the strip of island we were on. It was much rockier here but at least there was a proper lagoon again without the mud, although it was very shallow and full of rocks. After an hour or so we decided it was time for lunch and treated ourselves to a lunch at a bar close to our resort call The Boat Shed.

There are mosquitos everywhere on Aitutaki. On Raro the wind blows them away but here there is very little wind so there are a lot. I’ve got a few bites so far but Matt has loads despite the fact we’ve been using so much repellent. The Boat Shed deck was so full of them that the bar staff light a mosquito coil for each of their customers and put it at their feet. Matt surrounded himself with these and seemed to settle down a bit.

After a very long leisurely lunch (try saying that after a few lagers!) looking out to the lagoon we strolled back to the beach outside our room and jumped into the lagoon to cool down. Then we lay on the loungers for a while before heading inside for a siesta.

We’d already splashed out on our lunch so decided to eat in and have another quiet night. A la cart - boiled eggs with a glass of chardonnay!

It’s going to be a quiet few days laying on the beach as we try our best to stay within budget as much as possible as we went way over in our first couple of weeks. This means living on £100 day for both of us for our accommodation, food, travel and any trips. This sounds much easier than it is as these islands are expensive places!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1012kb