Living VIVIDly


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
June 24th 2014
Published: June 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

A long weekend always holds some promise. This one perhaps a bit more than most.

The day's winter sun shines warmly in the countryside, which is just as well given the combination of children and water. A hike past Swimming Snake Dam and Wombat Island to Boot Full Spring; a careful crossing of the stream; a happy stroll into the spring, deeper than the height of the gumboots, and a cheeky smile that confirms the name of the place. The grassy bank is quickly decorated with sodden gumboots and a few socks. B knows that every rock in reach belongs in the creek and so helps them in. Perhaps this is how shotput began.

Sydney is a change of pace. The closing night of VIVID turns the Quay into a theatre. The Museum of Contemporary Art becomes a canvas for fantastic images. The other buildings around the quay feature roving images that jump from building to building. A glass of wine and the balcony becomes the best dining room in town. But there are Bunnies on the headland - large and luminescent - and they call the Siren's song to G & B. We have to go; among the crowds; past the MCA. Up close they're huge and unresponsive to pats. Their glow casts an eerie light on people close by, and we retreat to the safety of decent dim sum takeaway from a van.

In the backstreets we meet ET, or the metro version of the Terminator. He's huge and lit with changeable colours. G quickly welcomes him to earth, and he shook her proffered hand. B knows from Starwars that this story only ends well if humans fight back, so he does. And B prevails. To celebrate we head to the rooftop bar of the MCA and marvel at the unfolding and transforming sights.

Sydney days are warmer. The sun warms the Manly and Bondi sands, even if not the water. Nonetheless, the chance for a swim in the sea is irresistible. Waves are sport. And getting wet and slightly cold before heading to a café is a great part of visiting Sydney. A backseat filled with sleeping kids on the way home is testament to a long weekend well spent.


Additional photos below
Photos: 82, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb