Travel insurance? do i get it or dont i get it and hope for the best??


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
February 12th 2013
Published: February 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

I havent got too many things to do or get before i go back to Australia.. this time i know that i dont need to pack my bag with tons of toiletries because surprisingly you can actually get them the other side of the world!

One thing i am debating though is travel insurance? I got it without a doubt last year especially as i went to Thailand first, i didnt know how long i would spend in oz so i only got it from November-August, in August i took the assumption that i would be fairly safe working and living in Sydney so didnt have any until i started my east coast trip.. with all the boats and jeeps i thought it would be wise!



This year however i plan on staying in Melbourne. If i lost of broke my camera or anything it wouldnt even cross my mind to claim on the insurance, i'd just buy a new one. The only concern is for a medical point of view.



Its soo expensive to get for a year! I just think surely if you have an accident the price of the insurance plus the excess may just be as much as you'd have to pay anyway and if you dont have an accident then bonus!

I may being a bit narrow minded here so opinions would be appreciated or any cheap travel insurance company suggestions would be great!

Advertisement



1st March 2013

Travel Insurance
Hi Ellie. This is probably too late but you MUST have medical insurance. Although UK and Oz do have reciprocal health agreements, this is only for emergency cover. Once you are out of the emergency situation you get charged and it can be thousands of dollars/pounds for simple recovery treatment. If, god forbid, you die, it will cost your family tens of thousands of dollars to get you back to the UK. Medications which cost only a few dollars/pounds on the NHS or Oz health service could cost you hundreds of dollars/pounds as you are not eligible for the subsidised costs. There are many on-line insurance agencies which don't cost an arm and a leg (excuse the pun). Just don't go jumping out of planes for sport. That puts the cost up enormously. My wife and I have just completed a round the world trip and the medical insurance was less the 250 pounds for 9 months. Well worth it for the peace of mind. John.

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb