CATCH UP


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
June 9th 2012
Published: June 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Ok, so well aware I haven’t done a travel blog since Fraser Island in February, so having a bit of time on my hands now, this is a bit different to the usual ones, catching-up on all thats been happening since and before I post blogs on Fiji. I wanted my blogs to be as true as possible to our whole experience since coming to Oz, warts and all (as not every day is sunny) but only after I believe being over the worse....

As you know, Josh, Sam & Eva all managed to get out to us over xmas and earlier in the year. Julian has loved being in Oz, but think their return to the UK was the start of a lot of mega home-sickness on my part and, I think, Ebony too. Although living in such a beautiful place, this seemed a particularly difficult phase with Julian working long hours (and often away still), away from family & friends.

Whilst Julian was working and trying to to keep busy, I drove to Canberra to stay with our friend, Lynne. Unfortunately it rained the whole time (not unusual for the Day records) but great company and few days getting to see some of the sights although determined to get back to see them properly-in the dry!

I also stayed a few days in Melbourne with friends Susan, Andre and the kids, which really helped too, being part of just normal family life.

Then at the end of March, Ebony & I returned to the UK for a planned 5 week visit to see family & friends and to sort out Ebonys college in Guildford which she was due to start this September. However, this turned into over a 2 month stay for me and the decision to stay in the UK for Ebony at the last minute when some pretty exciting opportunities came out of the blue, including singing at Stoke 2012 in front of several thousand people- scary or what? (She has since won a competition to sing in Nashville next month). Anyway, this was a BIG shock for me (empty nest syndrome and all that) and also meant a VERY busy few weeks sorting her out a flat to live in as our house is let out).

So, at this point I want to say a very big THANK YOU on behalf of Ebony and myself to everyone who has been there supporting us through these last few months and especially during our trip home. I think you all know anyway how much I think of and appreciate you all, but just wanted to make sure.

...for our lovely time with Sam & Eva in London, from where we got to have a bit of a city fix and sort out college things.

...our time with Bea, Steve, Millie & Fleur in Devon where we were able to spend precious time with Josh, little Molls and catching up with many other friends too. ...to Elaine & David for arranging the get together there.

...for our time with the Janet, Mike, Emily & Alice in Highcliffe and the party they organized for me.

...to Sue on the Isle of Wight where we still managed some great walks despite having to sort out my mothers break-in. ...to time with our family there although this was sadly reduced by these events, especially with Mum & Dad who were supposed to take priority.

...for my lovely time with Kate, Andy and family and for donating our new 2 wheeled mode of transport for the flat which I used loads in my time there.

...to Lynds, Dave, Helly & Doug for our time with you and all your moral support.

...to Jacq, Kev and co for the stay together with all the help moving into the flat, and to the rest who helped including Cath, Pete, Karen, Matt, Josh Baker, etc etc etc. Don’t know how I’d of managed it all without you. For all the donations and loans of furniture.

You’re probably all still trying to find things in your many kitchens!

...also to Cath for the wonderful sailing trips that we managed to slot in and to Pete for getting that poor guy to take me out on his Hobie Tiger, but I LOVED it!!

Thanks also to Sandra and Martin for those hours in the Skillet. Although often manic, this gave a strange sanity to everything whilst over.

Hope I've not missed something really improtant. I haven’t listed everyone that we caught up with and as such a whirl in the end, still those I missed. But with Ebony happily and safely installed, I returned to Oz pretty low and with a stinker of a cold to match. The house was really cold and felt very empty with just Julian & I. It's winter in Oz, which although not as cold as UK is without central heating. Just plenty of ‘rugging-up’ in the evening, which sounds romantic, but is just COLD!

Julian knew I would be pretty miz, so suggested I join him while at a conference on The Gold Coast just a few days after my return. It meant we could stay with our friends, Perry & Claire there for the weekend (they'd moved to Oz just the week after us). Queenslands has much better weather but true to form and hacking away like a good’en, we saw Australia’s most easterly point at Cape Byron in the rain as we did Byron Bay and Tweed Heads but then it did clear up and we had a great few days seeing very different aspects of this area.

Beautiful mountains and lush forest surround the relatively small but busy strip that the Gold Coast is known for. We had a great day out in the mountains stopping to watch paragliding and Claire being delighted to find trees sporting falling autumn leaves with proper autumn colours (normally just gums). We had lunch at a fantastic little café where everything was so yummy and did quite a good job of sampling a fair bit.

Then in contrast and with it being Blues Festival we had a night out in town. Watching a band in Jupiters, the big casino venue, WAS an experience for more reasons than one. Many VERY much older ladies with more plastic than legoland (sadly the wrinkly, saggy skin on their hands and arms were still a complete giveaway) being picked up by young guys.Yuk!! I've just lived too sheltered a life, THANK GOD.

Sunday, saw Surfers Paradise and the tall QI building - a great area for the young, but also some beautiful quieter areas including Jacks surf club at Burleigh Heads- a lovely spot at the quieter end of the coast with outdoor exercise machines, BBQ’s etc! Thanks to you all for having us!!

Anyway, once back in Sydney, took myself off to bed and gave in to being ill which really took a good 3 weeks from start to finish, but as that started to go, so I seemed to start coming out of the gloom and excepting that my nest would be empty sooner or later (although I would rather it had been MUCH later). You kids are all well, happy, doing what you want and although I miss you loads are I keep being told, only a plane ride away. Josh has just finished uni and will be off on a ship soon to god knows where completing his 'sea time'. Also, Sam has a new job from end of July - in Sydney, so he and Eva will be out here with us very soon! Wow.

Also, flying back to Oz on my own pretty much proved I am over my flying phobia, a good job under the circumstances. Hypnotherapy works!

Although when first back I couldn’t bring myself to go into Ebonys room as too sad, this is now clean & tidy (no mean feat!)(sorry, Ebz) and waiting for Sam and Eva, who are staying with us until their things arrive.

The pest control man came round to puff stuff into the roof space to thankfully stop the hundreds of tiny flying ants from dropping from the down lighters onto the kitchen work surfaces. No those were not poppy seeds on the cakes, darling! The store-cupboard has also been bleached clean and rid of all packets containing maggots, despite the fact they were in sealed tuppaware?

The garden has now been tidied, the leaves swept and Susan, your gift of garlic bulbs from ‘Herbs to Home’ now planted. Your veggie tubs have also been re-vamped awaiting a few new additions but are still yielding a good supply of basil, parsley and other herbs.

I have not included photos this time as too difficult choosing which and most already on facebook.

So, at this point I have brought things up to date, apologise for being such a misery over the past weeks (especially to my husband who I know has been despairing) and can now move on to a more normal travel blog of Fiji and whatever more is in store– watch this space.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb