yikes...it's been hot


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
February 9th 2009
Published: February 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello,

Quick update for everyone, as I've been bombarded with emails regarding the safety of Kevin and myself with the heat and the fires that are making international news.

Saturday the 7th of February 2009, was the hottest day Melbourne has ever recorded. The official temperature hit +46.6 degrees and it was also accompanied by up to 100mph winds. It was to be honest nearly unbearable outside. The house mates and us literally set up shop in the house, and didn't leave. Due to the insane temps, and winds many bush fires started, and literally wiped out townships in Victoria, some on the outskirts of Melbourne...making it very close to home. The death toll is now over 100, and many are still missing. It has been extremely sad and scary, as the sky literally filled with smoke and ash as the day wore on. The eerie-ness has yet to lift as the news updates us hourly on the progress.

I (we) am feeling very fortunate that we live in the city, and didn't have to evacuate our home. Our hearts are with all those who have lost family, friends and homes in this area. This is definitely something that we knew about coming to Australia (heat and bush fires) but to be here when such an extreme event has rocked this state is something else.

In the meantime the weather has dipped significantly, as today I'm wearing a coat. Little rain has fallen, thus not helping the fire fighters, but luckily the temperature change has made it more controlled.

In other news, the Sustainable Living Festival kicks off in 12 days! Planning almost complete, and now it's just updating volunteer rosters and technical information.

My mom is here in 9 days which is even more exciting, we've been planning some activities, and are really looking forward to the visit with her and Dale.
I'll write more after the festival likely.

thinking of you all at home.
Much Love
Shan

PS. maybe my next trip will be somewhere that the temps aren't either above or below 40...I'm thinking something with a temperature to be around 30 all year round... ideas?




Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb