Cape Tribulation


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
October 29th 2003
Published: October 29th 2003
Edit Blog Post

Dragon LizardDragon LizardDragon Lizard

One of the Daintree Rainforest's common creatures hanging out on a tree.
"Where the rainforest meets the beach" is the famous description of Cape Tribulation. Brie and I managed to get 2 days off of work and hired car with our English friend, Emma, to see the Daintree Rainforest and beaches north of Cairns. It was fascinating driving along the east coast of Australia having scenery change fromm the beaches to farmland to mountains.

Our first stop was Mossomons Gorge, which is the start of the Daintree Rainforest, and a natural beauty with rapids flowing through perfectly placed rocks. We were entertained while watching some bloke try to jump from rock to rock and unfortunately he was unsuccessful.

Once we arrived in Cape Trib we checked into our cabin-like room and headed toward the beach. The beach was peaceful covered with mangroves, palm trees, and best of all coconuts. Emma and I decided to reinact a Castaway scene testing our survival skills to crack open a coconut. Needless to say, it took awhile after trying to cut it with a shell, stabing it with a tree branch, and throwing it against a tree. It definitely wasn't worth our efforts.

The next day we walked through the rainforest and visited the
Cape TribulationCape TribulationCape Tribulation

Where the rainforet meets the beach
environmental center. The environmental center offered a canopy tour where we could view the different levels of the rainforest. The Daintree Rainforest covers 1,200 square kilo and represents the largest area of tropical rainforest in Australia. We were able to see a dragon lizard, metalic-blue Ulysses butterflies, bush-turkeys, and plenty of plant-life.

Heading back to Cairns, we stopped in Port Douglas which is the a beautiful beach town reminding me much of Florida. to end our road trip we had a some "good grub" and a "good laugh" dancing to "Cairns greatest hits" in several night clubs. It was a very successful roadtrip and seeing the rainforest and beach come together.
-there are a few more pics added onto the previous travelblog pic diary so check them out


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Port DouglasPort Douglas
Port Douglas

Near the marina in Port Douglas
Daintree RainforestDaintree Rainforest
Daintree Rainforest

A view of the Daintree Rainforest at the top of the Canopy Tower


Tot: 0.446s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 14; qc: 82; dbt: 0.0719s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb