Withsunday Islands and Airlie Beach


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
March 6th 2007
Published: March 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So after the diving it was time to start the looooong trip (literally days sitting on a bus)south towards sydney. My first destination was Airlie beach and to visit the Whitsunday islands. But on the way i had to pass through townsville where Ashley, a guy i met in cambodia, lived. We went for a few beers and i found out that since we last met he has got into scuba diving in a big way and was buying all the latest equipment, planning on leaving the army and taking up diving professionally. All the best with that mate!
Next day i arrived in Airlie beach. This was a really cool little town with plenty of bars and parties going on. Again it had another large beautiful lagoon which was almost as full when the bars closed than at midday!! It would be easy to get stuck here for a while alright. On the first night i met up with 3 mental Danish lads who were great craic and so the first few nights were spent on the lash with them. One of them is daft about football like myself and one night we slept (well passed out if i was being honest) outside a bar which promised us to show the liverpool barca game at 6 in the morning. Come 6 o clock we woke up to find the place locked up and no one in sight the bas*%$ds.

But i wasnt here to party in the bars every night, i had some partying on a boat to do for a few days too. So as i was waiting for our boat to leave down at the dock, sprawled out working on the tan i heard someone calling my name....i turned around only to see my sister and the boyfriend smiling over......i mean what the feck!!!!! I knew they were in oz but had no idea they were hear. It was such a great suprise. As theywere passing by the harbour my sister said she wanted to go check it out which is where i was waiting......there were surley things at work there that we are not aware of or can explain!!!!
So after a quick chat and agreement to meet later in the week i headed of on the boat to the Withsundays. There were 23 people on my boat and about 17 of the were chicks.Happy days! Well thats what i thought initially. Most of the boat were germans too which was a bit strange coz i hadnt seen too many of them before that. The islands were nice although not spectacular (i was comparing them to thailand)and the boat trip was just ok. The group never really got along and they were mainly just small groups keeping to themselves. The ship crew were pretty bad in interacting with the passangers also. I had the craic and beers in the evening with a few of the people and had a nice time but it wasnt as good as other people said it would be. I suppose its the luck of the draw with who you are put on the boat with.We did a dive also but it was a bit crap due to the equipment and also the visibility on the day.
We got back to Airlie beach and i met up with Steph, Barry and their mates Dermot and Aine for a swim at the lagoon and a meal on my last night.It was great to catch up on some stories and we said goodbye til we all got to sydney.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



24th April 2007

arlie beach
Don't forget frayser Island on your way to sydney!!! are you staying in sydney for work? anyway liverpool tomorrow!!! try to find a bar thats shows it!! don't worry we know already chelsea is going to the final against milan!!! enjoy and get that tan going!!!

Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 23; qc: 95; dbt: 0.1112s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb