Bush Trip Australia Part 1


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
October 9th 2006
Published: February 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Redundancy - a blessing in disguise. In May this year I was made redundant so decided to make our hobby of property renovating and subdividing into a full time income. Scary. Still we got a couple of properties done and decided to take a break. After all why not we now had no boss to tell us we couldn't. We decided to go bush and beach for 7 lovely weeks. Especially for some friends of ours who have not travelled we decided to write about our experiences.

Part 1

Left a little late due to being completely un-organised. Driving up through the Adelaide suburbs in our new (to us) old HJ61 Landcruiser, we stopped to fill the fridge with groceries as we planned to spend quite a few days away from it all. This was our first mistake or you could say just bad timing. As we went to leave a lovely middle aged gentleman decided he liked our vehicle so much he had to reverse into it.....
Now just before 12am on a Saturday morning is not a great time to have this happen. We could not continue with no lights, Steve was not the kindest and the poor guy got a few not so nice words thrown at him.
Anyway, luck was on our side (or was it just practicing "THE SECRET"? we managed to find a wreckers yard, 2 minutes before they closed and YEAH, they had a second hand light AND someone who could fit it for us. A couple of hours later we were on our way again.
So much for the early start - it was now 3pm and we had not left Adelaide outskirts.

Uneventful but HOT drive to Hawker, we stopped for fuel and low and behold bumped into our local bottle shop manager - up for some 4X4 in the Flinders Ranges. It was very tempting to stop and have a beer or two but in the end decided to push on. It was getting dark when we drove into Parachilna so as the food is so great decided to make a night of it.

Parachilna is a tiny rail town at the start of the Flinders, the hotel is world famous for it's menu of Local Food (Kangaroo, Barrumundi, Emu etc). There is accommodation in the hotel, the cabins out front or you can pitch your tent or swag. Last time this way we tented it, but this time we decided on a cabin as it was late. Great move - more time for the pub.....

Had a fantastic meal as always followed by possibly one two many bevies while talking to a variety of interesting overseas visitors. For a tiny town you will meet the most cosmopolitan crowd - makes for a great night, especially when they see the trains come through - very very long trains.

After discussing with some German travellers all the best out of the way places we decided that our voices were POSSIBLY getting a little fuzzy and we ought to retire. So much for the early night too - Oh well you have to live and it was so great, not having the normal time pressure. Knowing that if 7 weeks turned into 8 that it did not really matter.

Next installment later
Carol Hedges Property Entrepreneur See our favourite Beach location www.agneswaters.com.au
How did we funded the trip? Find out www.cash-workathome.com


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb