A day with Dr. Walsby


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
November 2nd 2006
Published: November 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Dr. John WalsbyDr. John WalsbyDr. John Walsby

We learn about the volcanic lake
Breakfast was much better today with not so many people rushing to get food, beautiful sunny day with the view from the restaurant clear. We were introduced to Dr. John Walsby, marine biologist, first through a lecture in the morning called "the coast line of Aukland." Then through an all day field trip of the North Shore. He was with us the whole day and basically gave us his wealth of knowledge on vulcanology, oceanography, flora and fauna, military strategy/history, paleantology, geology, and any thing else we asked about. He was very energetic, always finding the highest place to stand lecture us. He was personable and enthusiastic and moved so much that the microphone system on the bus would give him lots of static. But we ate up every word and had to work to keep up with him mentally and physically. Marty beach-combed a bit and collected some shells reminding me of childhood days at Montara, Ca and my mom. A lovely day with beautiful weather.

We are having trouble getting photographs into this blog. We will keep trying to find a way.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Dr. John WalsbyDr. John Walsby
Dr. John Walsby

Dr Walsby presents the flora and fauna
Dr. John WalsbyDr. John Walsby
Dr. John Walsby

Dr Walsby now talks about the volcanic rocks at the beach
Dr. John WalsbyDr. John Walsby
Dr. John Walsby

Dr Walsby always seeks the most dramatic spot to lecture us
Pohutukawa TreePohutukawa Tree
Pohutukawa Tree

New Zealand's Christmas Tree because it blooms in the spring (November - December)


Tot: 0.308s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb