Heading south......and home


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
November 2nd 2017
Published: November 3rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

We spent the next few days in Alice which gave us a chance to visit a few galleries, get some shopping, have fun on the waterslide, go to Olive pink botanic gardens and the best part- visit the desert park again. This place is amazing and a great way to spend a day. We saw the bird of prey show and it was terrific for Merlin to see his favourite, the black breasted buzzard, again. Also, as Merlin has a much greater passion for reptiles than when we first came through, we were hoping to speak to the head reptile keeper so that he had a chance to ask him all the questions he had. The people at the desert park are amazing and all were really encouraging and keen to provide information for a budding wildlife ecologist. We were able to speak with Peter and he explained to us the intricacies of keeping reptiles, the importance of climatic conditions, the best pets to have (particularly in Victoria), how they breed them and the progression to a role such as his. It was a brilliant day.

We left for Ormiston Gorge the next day, as we had loved it so much on the way up and we had just two nights to be able to spend there. It was warmer than last time and as a result, much quieter which was lovely. The gorge walks were still as spectacular and we had a relaxing time walking, reading and swimming. We went out 'herping' each night and had some amazing finds: Orange-naped snake, curl snake, burton's snake-lizard, fat-tailed gecko and the southern spiny-tailed gecko. The next day we reluctantly packed up and headed out. Of all the wonderful places we had seen on our travels, this was still one of the most stunning and special for us.The next few days were going to be huge driving days to gobble up some ground and get us in our home range. We made it to just north of Marla the first night and had an amazing bush camp. To Merlin's elation, we shared the spot with Black breasted buzzard parents and so he was able to spend quite awhile observing them and taking photos. We went 'herping' that night and found 3 beautiful gecko species: sand-plain gecko, fat-tailed gecko and smooth knob-tailed gecko, just wonderful seeing those big black eyes looking up at us- just sooo cute.

Next morning we headed off for Coober Pedy. We weren't staying underground this time but instead bush camping in a spot just outside of town. It was a great spot once the heat (& impenetrable wall of flies) had gone from the day and the night sky came alive. We again went 'herping' but I think a combination of the location and much cooler climate meant we came away unsuccessful in our endeavour to find something. This was a sad realisation......we were starting to leave the wilderness behind. After Chris had a quick look for some birds (unsuccessfully due to the cyclonic wind), we packed up and headed off again....this time our destination was near Port Augusta. Here we made it late in the day to visit Aridlands botanic gardens again which was great. We got some special plants (and the essential quandong icecream) and then decided to keep driving to Redbanks Con. reserve. Although the wind had subsided a storm was brewing and the rain came pelting down. We got into our camp spot just after sunset and decided to 'dine in' the campo for dinner (ie we set up our table and chairs in the campo to eat dinner to avoid the rain!). We managed to wash up and get ready for bed and then snuggled in for the night. It was such a shock to the system having cold winds and rain and we definitely weren't liking it.

Next morning was lovely and clear but very cold.(for us who were now used to days in the mid to high 30's and nights around 17-20). We did some birding, bike riding and reading and then headed off for Hattah. On our way we spotted a shingle back ambling across the road. Oh how cute they are!! Merlin safely transported him off the road into some great habitat and we took some pics then said farewell to our little friend. On the way we decided to spend a night at Gluepot reserve as were driving right past the turnoff for it, and as we hadn't been there in such a long time. The reserve is owned and managed by Birdlife Australia and is a haven for Mallee habitat wildlife. We got in and set up camp and then went exploring. Chris and Merlin went off in search of the rare Scarlet-chested Parrot and after finishing my reading, I went for a bike ride to one of the bird hides. It was a great late afternoon even though the scarlet wasn't sighted. After tea we went 'herping' again and although it was quite cool, we found a little sand plain gecko. We got some quick pics and then Merlin put him in a safe spot.

We packed up early and headed off, with the wind already hot on our heels. We stopped to do a little birdwatching and then continued on our drive to Hattah.We arrived late afternoon and made our way down to the river. It was beautiful and warm now although very windy. We set up and went for a refreshing dip which was not only lovely but meant that we had now been to 4 states and 1 territory as part of this great adventure (VIC, NSW, WA, SA and NT). We then started exploring and as we drove around saw that a lot of the lakes and tributaries have water in them, which is a wonderful sight. By the time we got back to camp the weather started to turn. The wind was almost cyclonic and now with a biting chill. The skies were black as the night and rain was looming. We quickly cooked dinner as best we could and moved into the open to devour it. We assessed the location of the campo and although always previously a safe spot, due to the severe winds we thought we should move further out into the open. We packed up as quick as we could and moved a little way so that we would be safe throughout the night. Just as we were done, the skies opened and the rain commenced. We retreated to the campo for the night, listening to the rain as we drifted off to sleep.

The next morning, even though the sun was up, was bitterly cold- what is this weather?? It's almost November and not really a nice 'welcome back to victoria'!! We need to defect to a different state!!! Anyway the day was forecast to be cold, wet and windy so after much deliberation we decided to make our way to Wangaratta. It was going to be a huge drive and better done on a day where the weather wasn't great. This would also give us a few days in one of our favourite campsites near Wang., a chance to check out a few properties there whilst catching up with some friends and provide a break for Chris before we make the drive back to Melbourne. We packed up and headed off just before lunchtime. The travel was good but the weather foul. It became even more arctic as we travelled, and the rain coming thick and fast. It did however create some amazing cloud formations and ever changing sky colourations- just brilliant! Following the weather patterns, we knew the rain band was chasing us and we were relieved to get into camp and find the wind had stopped and the rain just skirted around us- so lucky!! We set up, got a little fire going (it was freezing!) and had tea. It was amazing that only 3 months ago I had put our winter blankets on the bed and now I was doing the same thing- it felt like a time warp.

We woke to a beautiful sunny and relatively warm sky and only a light breeze. We spent the next few days bike riding, walking, bird watching, taking photos, reading and of course went to the Wang pool for a swim. We then packed up and reluctantly commenced on the trek to Melbourne. This adventure was filled with so many amazing experiences and we really can't believe it has finally come to an end. Although we are looking forward to seeing all of our loved ones, we are really sad this time is over as we all realise how special it has been for each of us. We have seen and learnt so much about our country, it's diversity, our wildlife and ourselves. We have met some amazing people and had so much fun. It has made us realise even more the important things in this world and that we must live in the present each day, have fun and enjoy the adventure!Til next time.......take care....x

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb