Amazing Albany


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
October 5th 2017
Published: October 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The Transwa bus takes 6 hours Fron Perth to Albany. Quite a comfortable journey with one stop for coffee half way. Our Airbnb in Albany is just a short walk from the Albany bus terminus and the tourist office. Our accommodation is small but perfect for a short stay, with a small kitchen and lounge area and a linked bedroom.

After a good night's rest we set off on a super coastal walk from Albany centre to Middleton Beach. En -route there are many Honeyeater birds to be seen. The views are lovely over the Princess Royal Harbour. We pass by the Ataturk Statue at the harbour entrance. Middleton beach overlooking King George Sound is very scenic. We cannot leave without stopping for some delicious fish and chips. After a big lunch some more exercise is required.

It's a steep climb through the suburbs passing some magnificent homes with spectacular views. We then follow some winding paths through woodland to the summit of Mount Clarence. Here is the "National Anzac centre" . The museum provides a very moving tribute to the thousands of Australian and New Zealand troops who left Albany in large convoys for the Great War, many never to return. The convoy walk highlighted the ships that took part in the first and second convoys. Finally we climbed up to the top of Mount Clarence to view the Desert Mounted Corps to those fallen in Egypt.

Next day after collecting a hired car it was time to visit the Tondirrup National Park. Goode beach was our first stopping point where there was a bird hide overlooking a lake and coastal views. After a lunch at The Whaling Museum we went to visit the Blow Holes. Here we had a magical time watching whales close to the shore for almost 2 hours. We drove back to Albany via the Vancouver Peninsula.

On our final day we enjoyed a nice drive to Denmark. We drove towards Mutton Bird island and had superb views of Perkins Beach. The road to Denmark passed through pleasant rolling countryside. Denmark had a nice feel about it. We had lunch and wandered around the small town. Before setting back to Albany we drove along Ocean Beach Road for more super sea and coast views.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0818s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb