Princess Meets The Prince


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
November 1st 2012
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -28.0708, 114.477

So how do you visit another country without ever leaving the continent of Australia? You turn right after the pink lake at Port Gregory and follow the sign posts to the Principality of Hutt River- that's how. Micro nations like the Principality of Hutt River dot the planet but most are either intended to be a joke (the nation of Lovely is an apartment in East London), or are thought of as a joke (the Principality of Vikesland in Manitoba, Canada), but Hutt River is a very serious proposition indeed. Unhappy with wheat quota's issued by the Australian government, Leonard Casley sued, which prompted the government of the day to pass a bill to reacquire the Casley's land, which the Casley's saw as illegal and he felt it allowed his family to secede and declare their independence from the Commonwealth of Australia (under International Law). After prime minister threatened him with prosecution, Casley styled himself His Majesty Prince Leonard I of Hutt to take advantage of the British Treason Act 1495 which stated that a self proclaimed monarch could not be guilty of any offence against the rightful ruler, and anyone who interfered with his duties could be charged with treason.

As a result, in 1970, the Principality of Hutt River was declared an independent province by Leonard Casley (Prince Leonard). Under Australian law, the federal government had two years to respond but chose not to do so. I thought this was a positive sign of the Aussie tolerance and encouragement of all things eccentric but apparently that's not the case- the Gov't of Oz is pissed and makes life as difficult as possible for Hutt River. From the beginning Australia Post refused to recognize Hutt River postage so all of the Principalities mail had to be directed to Canada (the notion of Canada Post being more accommodating than any other organization just defies belief so I have to think that our posties had no idea what or where Hutt River was so they just went ahead delivering the mail with their usual blinding speed). And the Australian Tax Office certainly didn't see Hutt River as independent so our earnest Prince went back to court and soon thereafter the mail service was restored after the court case deemed that Hutt River stamps and coins were legal within the Principality, and the tax requests also ceased.

As a bit of a closet stamp collector, I'd have to admit that my interest in visiting Principality of Hutt River started when I picked up a couple of postage stamps from this country I'd never heard of before. For DH (aka The Princess), it was a glorious chance to hobnob with fellow royalty. Crossing the border was somewhat uneventful and as we parked the camper-van in front of the government offices, Prince Leonard himself came out to greet us and we were given the royal tour through an eclectic collection of gifts and memorabilia that has been given to the Hutt River Royals over the years. We then had our passports stamped and visa's issued, and after the flag lowering ceremony were given our choice of location in the Principality of Hutt River campervan park. The resident human population of Hutt River is something in the neighbourhood of 30 (although they claim a worldwide citizenry of 15,000) which is dwarfed by the kangaroo population that came to hang out with us in the camp ground. I caught a series of low light, poor quality pic's that I've attached to the blog just to show a joey escape.

The next day we attended the flag raising (not exactly the pomp and circumstance of Tianeman Square but it got the job done). Did I mention that the Government of Australia doesn't see the humour in all this?? Probably the result of the province declaring war in December 1977 over the tax issue even though Prince Leonard notified Australian authorities of the cessation of hostilities several days later. Instead of landmines, I suspect the Aussie Army spread nails and spikes all over the surrounding roadways because we were only a few minutes beyond the Hutt River border and back in Oz when a shredded tire had us wobbling all over the highway. Miles from anywhere, our only choice was to figure out the somewhat complicated spare tire scenario- as a bit of a positive, DH confessed to amorous feelings while watching me grapple with the tires in a very masculine way. This initially struck me as odd since I had changed tires many times before but as I thought about it, this was the first time she had actually gotten out of the car while I was doing it.

The spare tire looked like it was one wayward bump away from going flat itself so we found a campervan park in nearby Kalbarri where we got some good and bad news. The bad news- there was only 1 tire guy in town and he would be closed for the next two days. The good news- we were right across from the beach area where the pelicans were fed each morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 58, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



17th November 2012

Leonard is amazing . Yeah for the little guy.
17th November 2012

It could only get more masculine if you had a roll of duct tape in the other hand
18th November 2012

Shouldn't it be 'The Fallen'?
18th November 2012

We're Aussies we need reminding!
18th November 2012

Beautiful photo!
18th November 2012

Yes Vic, the Prince looks absolutely ecstatic! We suspect that Deb and yourself are the only tourists who have ever asked him to pose with them for a photo.
18th November 2012

Perfect shirt for Hutt, 'Never Mind', I think that's what the Aus government probably said after spending time and money fighting him!
18th November 2012

Almost as big as your bust! Haha!
18th November 2012

I wonder which prison made these plates?
18th November 2012

No wonder she got excited, she was seeing you do something physical for the first time in 16 months! Watching those muscles ripple would have any woman drooling!
18th November 2012

Actually it is quite amazing that the local council has allowed the road signs directing people to the Hutt Principality! Maybe they are hoping that more tourists will visit so the surrounding area gets more business.
19th November 2012

That is just crazy!
19th November 2012

What a great photo Vic.
21st November 2012

Is this a sign to encourage adoption?
23rd November 2012

Isn't that baby Roo just a little big to be bouncing around in Momma's Pouch?? Imagine the stretch marks that Mother has!! I'll never complain again!!
23rd November 2012

I'm glad that once I gave birth, they didn't try to climb back in....LOL!!
23rd November 2012

OK....That's just weird!
23rd November 2012

I know a few people like that!!
23rd November 2012

Cool...Are they friendly??
23rd November 2012

Whatever!
23rd November 2012

Really, I think it's more than weak trunks!
23rd November 2012

Your pictures are beautiful, but those friggin birds are really UGLY!
23rd November 2012

Not intentional at all, I'm sure!!
23rd November 2012

Interesting.....It's leaning towards the Earth's Energy! Amazing!
23rd November 2012

Wow! The water levels have really receded over the years eh! (Canuck Sayin')
26th November 2012

What a great story!
6th December 2012

stunning composition
6th December 2012

this shot needs to be entered in a contest!

Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 42; dbt: 0.07s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb