Life on the Road - Number 4


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
May 7th 2013
Published: May 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

5 March 2013- After arriving in Fremantle, we spent time catching up with friends, getting a few things fixed on the van, plus flying to Sydney for a very beautiful wedding of the son of one of our friends. We flew home via Melbourne and spent a night there catching up with our family which was a lovely way to finish the weekend.

For the next week or so, we alternated between parks in Fremantle and Perth trying to take in as many of the sights as possible.

Kings Park was one of our favourites and a must for anyone coming to Perth. They have over 6 million visitors a year and it is only 1.5 kms from the CBD.

We then spent 5 days in York which is about 97 kms from Perth. Beautiful old town and first inland European settlement in WA. From there we toured around and went to Wave Rock at Hyden, Shackleton which is home to the smallest bank in Australia and Kokerbin Rock, third largest monolith in Australia plus a few other places along the way.

Back to Perth for a few days in time to take in the Caravan and Camping Show and then left for Melbourne for four weeks.

26 April 2013 - back in Perth after 4 weeks in Melbourne. Good to catch up with family and friends again. Claire celebrated her 40th birthday while we were home and everyone had a great night – some people forgetting to go to bed until nearly daylight but we won’t mention any names.

Sadly while we were home we lost a very dear friend - Vale H. Wonderful memories are ours to have forever.

We headed across to Kalgoorlie (which is known as Kalgoorlie-Boulder) for four days and stayed in Boulder. Kalgoorlie started in the 1890’s after Paddy Hannan struck gold which led to one of Australia’s great gold rushes. Today, the Super Pit produces up to 850,000 ounces of gold each year and is the biggest gold open pit mine in the country.

Played golf at the Kalgoorlie Golf Course as part of the Nullarbor Links. Certainly was a step up from some of the courses across the Nullarbor. We also did tours of both the Boulder and Kalgoorlie Town Halls. The Boulder Town Hall is beautifully preserved with pressed tin ceilings and wrought iron
CottesloeCottesloeCottesloe

Beach Sculpture
balconies. They also have a priceless curtain depicting the Bay of Naples and is believed to be the last surviving example of a working Philip Goatcher stage curtain. He was paid 50 pounds in 1908 to paint the curtain. The Kalgoorlie Town Hall is just as impressive with ornate pressed ceilings, chandeliers and a sweeping staircase.

We also did a very interesting tour of the Royal Flying Doctor Service. We were able to have a look in one of the jets with all the equipment set up for any emergency. The Kalgoorlie base has a service area of 750,000 sq kms. Rio Tinto and BHP are large contributors to the RFDS.

On the way back to Perth we stopped at Coolgardie. They have a couple of very interesting museums with all the history of the town. At the height of the gold boom, Coolgardie had 23 hotels, 3 breweries, 7 newspapers, 6 banks and 2 stock exchanges, 1 hospital, 14 doctors, 13 chemists, 30 storekeepers and 10 restaurants. The population was estimated at 15,000 with a further 10,000 in surrounding districts. Today the population is approximately 800 with 1 hotel. It was once the third largest town in WA after Perth and Fremantle.

6 May 2013 – as we start to head north, our first stop has been Cervantes. Some of the attractions include the Pinnacles in the Nambung National Park, the Stromatolites at Lake Thetis and the Lobster Shack. The Pinnacles are limestone formations and are quite spectacular. They were virtually unknown to most Australians until the 1960’s but the area now has over 250,000 visitors a year.

The Stromatolites are the oldest living lifeforms on our planet. They grow through sediment and sand and these layers slowly build on top of each other with each formation growing at a rate of 5cm in 100 years.

Vic was in his element at the Lobster Shack. Well worth a visit to see the processing and packing of the Western Rock Lobster. The holding tanks hold 20 tonne of lobsters and the company exports to Japan, Korea, USA, Europe and China.

Meant to be leaving in the morning for Geraldton but as there is a strong weather warning we may stay put for another day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

CottesloeCottesloe
Cottesloe

Beach Sculpture
YorkYork
York

First Racetrack in WA
YorkYork
York

Racetrack
YorkYork
York

Town Hall
YorkYork
York

Caravan Park
CorriginCorrigin
Corrigin

Dog Cemetry
ShackletonShackleton
Shackleton

Smallest bank in WA
KalgoorlieKalgoorlie
Kalgoorlie

Golf Course
KalgoorlieKalgoorlie
Kalgoorlie

Golf Course
KalgoorlieKalgoorlie
Kalgoorlie

Super Pit
KalgoorlieKalgoorlie
Kalgoorlie

Super Pit
KalgoorlieKalgoorlie
Kalgoorlie

Royal Flying Doctor Service
KalgoorlieKalgoorlie
Kalgoorlie

Royal Flying Doctor Service


8th May 2013

All sounds great, enjoy your time doing nothing while you wait for better weather xx
8th May 2013

Love the photos
Anne just asked where you were and a couple of hours later your blog came through! Looks like you are still having a great time. The photos look great. All good with us at this end. Look forward to the next installment. Bert and Anne
8th May 2013

Beautiful photos Susie and Victor! Thanks for the update on your travels. You are both living the life! Hopefully catch you when I head to Broome at the end of June. Keep smiling and travel safe, Love Amy xxoo
9th May 2013

Now this is the life for you two...the photo\'s are fantastic..can not wait for the next blog. (have you two ever thought of writing a book for the coffee table???)
9th May 2013

Love the stories and the photos. Am very jealous! Keep having fun. Sorry I missed catching up with you whilst you were back in Melb. Jenny xx
9th May 2013

Enjoy life
We love the blog. Glad to see that you are enjoying your travels. Beats the hell out of employment as long as the money holds. We pensioners need to be frugal. We have a wonderful country and it holds many wonders. Thanks for sharing some of them with us. Safe travels.
28th May 2013

Lucky buggers
Hi Sue, Vic, Finally got onto blog and see you're doing it hard. Weather here is pretty cold but not a lot of rain, don't get sunburnt. Yes & congrats on the Doggies finally winning a game, at the expense of poor jack.
31st May 2013

Lucky buggers
Hi Trevor, Good to hear from you. Yes it was good to get that win last week. Buggered up the times with the football and only managed to take in the last quarter at a bar in Coral Bay. Stayed on for dinner and watched the Essendon v Richmond game. It is good being two hours earlier over here as all the night games finish early. We do take an interest in how Jack is going at St Kilda. The St Kilda stats are one of the first things I look at over the weekend. All going well although the weather has been a bit up and down. Have met some very nice people and have made some good friends along the way. Have had quite a few good "happy hours"Holed up in Exmouth at the moment. Was to leave here this morning but the winds came up fairly strong so have decided to stay for an extra couple of days waiting for them to subside.Then off to Tom Price and Karinjini National Park. So far all good. say gooday to Anne from the both of us . Regards Vic

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb