3 June 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
June 3rd 2012
Published: September 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Geikie Gorge was first up this morning and we weaved our way out of Fitzroy Crossing to our destination. It is evident that the Government has seen the value in pumping funds into these tourist locations. What once would have been a dust bowl of a parking area has now been sculpted and turned into a natural welcoming mat complete with new toilets, picnic areas and even an information hut.

The temperature was already on the rise so we quickly lathered ourselves in sunscreen and got ready to hit the walking trails. There were some fascinating markers at the information hut that indicated where record flood levels had previously reached during past wet seasons. Coming from SA you cannot fathom that these areas regularly flood to the point that locals see it as a part of everyday life. It was amazing to see flood markers reflect the levels the water had reached ABOVE the roof of galvanised iron.

Geike Gorge itself was terrific and you can only imagine what the area would look like during the wet season. There was still enough water flowing through for tourist operators to be out and about showing holiday makers around but it appeared as though the gorge was only about a third full.

After returning from the walk we rehydrated and got ready to hit the road. The plan was to give free camping a go for the first time so that was something to look forward to. On the way we stopped off at a roadside stop that had an outback toilet available and outback it was. Essentially it was a cement bowl and that was about it.

We soon made it through to the camping grounds that was full of activity and there were at least 30 other vans already set up. The location was great out amongst the gum trees and there was even a river close by where a fresh water croc had recently been spotted.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0956s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb