Northampton


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
April 27th 2012
Saved: September 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Today we set out to drive back to Perth. We took a break in Northampton, a town on the main highway which has managed to preserve some of its heritage buildings. We bought a pamphlet and took a self guided walk. I always enjoy those. It was good to see the Old Convent recreated as a backpackers. If any of the nuns are ghosts, I am sure they will be rolling in their graves. The hotel was first built in 1876 and has had several renovations, including the second story. I was intrigued by all of the light shades outside over the outside doors and their various liquor advertisements, and the number of doors- public bar, private bar, ladies' bar, lounge. Despte many obvious improvements since the 1870's, the whole place had a 1950's air about it to me.

It was the day after Anzac Day (similar to Remembrance Day) and the wreaths by the war memorial were quite fresh. The four facades on the memorial were dedicated to 'all the fallen', to World War l, World War ll, and Viet Nam.

We went into a family owned and run one room department store- in other words, a "general store". I was fascinated to chat with the father of the current store manager (she was off in Perth with the grandchildren). His grandmother was the first white child whose birth was recorded in the shire. He still farms on the original station, and was the first farmer north of Perth to try a new kind of sheep, raised for meat only, that are from SA and are a cross between a black faced something ewe and a persian ram... And these sheep shed their wool, so you don't have to bother shearing them. While we were chatting, a lady came in and told him that her horses would only eat the hay she bought from him, and wouldn't touch the hay she bought from some other chap, and could he deliver some more? I wish I had taken his photo, but I did take a picture of the pressed tin ceiling, and the stained glass windows which ringed the walls which were at least least 20 feet high.

It was quite late, and naturally dark, when we returned. We unloaded, and then turned I for the night and slept in the next morning. In some ways this holiday has been hard work!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.079s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb