Kalbarri


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
July 15th 2009
Published: July 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Kalbarri National Park

We had been really looking forward to visiting the famous 'Nature's Window' at Kalbarri and set off on the 27km unsealed (but, we were assured, suitable road for two-wheel drive vehicles). The optimistic guy at the park entrance had a real 'no worries, you'll be fine' Aussie attitude. Ten kms later, after being shaken to pieces by big ridges of corrugation and deep dips everywhere, we decided enough was enough and turned back. The next day they closed the road to repair it! We never did get to see 'Nature's Window', but we did see a couple of the gorges nearby, which were beautiful.

We didn't have a lot of luck with the weather either. There was something like a short tropical typhoon which swept through Kalbarri on our second day. It was incredible to watch. Luckily we were in the visitor centre and watched from the safety of the window. It only lasted about 10 minutes, but it was bad enough that we went back to our campsite to make sure Bertha, our tent, was still standing and not wrapped around a gumtree somewhere! Luckily she's made of sronger stuff.

Undettered by wind and
 Rob at lunchtime with an umbrella Rob at lunchtime with an umbrella Rob at lunchtime with an umbrella

Just like being back in the UK, this weather!
rain we struggled around the cliff top view points in the national park, but eventually even I had to admit defeat. Where's the Aussie sunshine?!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Rob & me with our umbrellasRob & me with our umbrellas
Rob & me with our umbrellas

Are you sure we're in Oz, not the UK?
signsign
sign

A bit ironic as we hadn't seen any hot weather yet!
Rob & Peter showing off their socks & sandalsRob & Peter showing off their socks & sandals
Rob & Peter showing off their socks & sandals

Will someone please tell them its just not right!


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb