Bye pemberton!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
May 19th 2008
Published: June 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We set off in the pouring rain (as thats all it seems to do in Pemberton is rain - good for the trees!) towards Albany. It was great to be in a city after being cut off in a tiny town and we stuffed our faces with take-aways and went to the cinema to see 'Iron Man'.
Albany is a very sweet sea side town which had recently had a shark attack where a teacher was savaged only 70 meters out from the shore!! so no-one was allowed in the water and we cruised the beach hoping for a sighting as it was said there were 3 Great Whites still lurking around in the waters. We took a scenic drive around to the blow holes, 'The bridge', and 'The Gap' which were where the waves crash through the rocks making a huge spray.
On our journey from Albany we stopped at the Sandalwood Factory where we took a tour and learnt of the benefits of Sandlewood oil and Emu oil (yuck!). We also made a stop at a wool farm where I got to buy some bargain Uggs to keep my toes toasty and warm when we get to New Zealand. We did the 'Walk of Giants' tree top walk which is a 600meter high walkway through a canopy of tingle trees. The views were incredible even though the walkway swayed!!
We then drove up to Bunbury where we stayed the night and spent the day at the dolphin center hoping some would come and say hello but it was not to be!! so we moved onto Bussleton to walk the longest wooden jetty in the southern hemisphere at 2 kms, it was never ending. We drove on down to Margaret River through all the vineyards where we stayed at a great hostel where they upgraded us to a lovely room and we check out all the surfers at surfers point and sampled the gourmet food and wine.
OUr next stop was to do some caving at the Calgardup cave where we were given a helmet and a torch and were sent down to explore the darkness as this cave was unlit, it was really creepy and i kept expecting the monsters out of 'the decent' to attack us and Jason didnt help by dissapearing and making scary noises. The next cave we stopped at was The Jewel Cave supposidly the largest and most magnificent and it lived up to this with its huge stalagmites and stalagtites. We even got to see a fossilised Possum that had fallen down the shaft hundreds of years ago.
We then drove onto Augusta to the Cape Leewin Lighthouse which is situated at the most southwesterly tip of Australia, standing at the point where the Indian and Southern oceans meet, it is said that it is here that the world will end!!!
Then back onto Pemberton to return Raj's truck and to have some more goodbye drinks. Early the next morning it was back on the bus to perth!!
Bye Pemberton!




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb