Albany to Freemantle


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
May 12th 2008
Published: May 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi All
Has been a while since we updated, so I'll get into it!
Albany: Torndirrup National Park- saw "The Gap" and "Natural Bridge". Whaleworld, situated on the site of Australia's last whaling station, was fantastic- we got to see a 3D movie about whaling and climb over "Cheynes 4", the last whaling boat.
Denmark-Walpole: Set up a base at Parry's Beach for exploring this area- rolling hills, magnificient coastline and tall forests. Visited an Alpaca Farm and saw an assortment of animals. The Tree Top Walk was a real highlight, a 600m long platform walk suspended 40 metres above the forest floor amongst the Karri trees.
Pemberton: More magnificient forests. At our campsite one morning we heard a large creaking sound followed by an incredible crashing sound. We looked around to see an ancient Karri tree falling across a creek, sending a splash of mud and debris 20 foot high. Explored the surrounding National Parks which included a suspension bridge below Beedulup Falls. There were also the 2 famous climbing trees, these are 60-70 metre high Karri trees with spikes spiralling around them, that were originally used to spot fires. Now very game tourists can climb them. The girls were disappointed that Kids weren't allowed to climb them. Kym to her credit made it all the top of the Glouester Tree. My fear of heights keep me on the ground!
Margaret River: Stayed at another caravan park on a working farm. The girls are getting to befriend a lot of dogs on this trip! A highlight of MR was to climb the 176 stairs up the spiral staircase of Cape Leewin lighthouse to get a fantastic view of where the Indian Ocean meets the Southern Ocean. Next day we donned helmets and torches and went underground into Calgardup Cave, lots of stalactites to be seen. Visited the Chocolate Factory and ate a year's worth of chocolate. Tried fudges at the Fudge factory and even managed a winery.
Bussellton: Walked most of the 2 km long jetty, seeing schools of fish, dolphins and jellyfish. Set-up camp at a place called Dawesville, and were nearly eaten alive by mosquitos!
Freemantle: Had a walk around the old part of town, and visited the Shipwreck Museum.
New Norcia: Spent a couple of days in this very peaceful Monastry Town (population 40), settled in 1846 by the Benidictine Monks. There's 9 monks still there. We got to have a good chat with one of them. Beautiful Spanish Buildings (23 are Heritage Listed). The Monks bake the best bread you've ever tried.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Kym at the top of the Gloucester TreeKym at the top of the Gloucester Tree
Kym at the top of the Gloucester Tree

So high up you need a flag to be seen from the ground
New NorciaNew Norcia
New Norcia

Abbey Church


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb