Camp Life (2 weeks on) and R&R (1 week off)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
December 10th 2007
Published: December 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Just a quick update from Murrin Murrin after having been here now for around 3 months. My how time flys on by.

Our typical day here consists of waking, working 12 hours, eating (maybe the odd bevvie or two on a special night!), sleeping, waking… By the 14th day it really is time for the one week off.

The temperature is heating on up here and yesterday the unofficial temperature was reported to be 46oC. It has definitely been the hottest day so far. I find it bad enough when I am working outside, but poor old Dami, having escaped the ’heat of Hawke’s Bay’ (in NZ) is now having to suit up in this weather in a protective acid suit. It’s an all in one overall number, made up of a gortex type of material which doesn’t breath!

Damien has always been a gadgets man. But now, instead of a tool belt hanging off him, he has the suit, a full gas mask, the gas monitor, earmuffs, hard hat (with secret iPod inside), a cooling gel vest thingy (which you soak in water), a camelback (drinking water bladder which straps on your back), and a fly net!
Damien's WorkDamien's WorkDamien's Work

The Processing Plant
The tools are now wheeled around site in two toolboxes!

With the heat brings the flies. The irritating bush flies which crawl around your face. Don’t breath in too fast - they’re sure to be there right at that time. We also have our resident Bungarras. Big lizards - waiting around corners to scare the bejesus out the unsuspecting! Rumour has it they can climb you using their claws to assist on their way up!

We spent one of our weeks off, back home (a very fleeting visit so apologies for the non-contact), spending time with the family and helping look after our two gorgeous nephews Owen and Louie. Reid grandchildren number to double shortly with two more on the way in April and June - not from us though.

Damien had a job prospect with one of the large mining firms here - Rio Tinto. As part of the recruitment process the company flew both of us to one of their residential minesites in the Pilbara region up north, Parabadoo, for a day trip to look at the mine and the town. The idea is to check whether you, the prospective employee, would be happy living
The Sulphur PitThe Sulphur PitThe Sulphur Pit

One of the reasons for leaving Murrin
there - prior to the company forking out to relocate you and spending loads of time on paperwork. I can’t remember which Aussie film this quote comes from - maybe Muriel’s Wedding - but quite frankly “I’d rather eat razorblades” than live in Parabadoo! So we chose not to take the job, but we did get a personal tour of the mine (very nice people), our very own unit to ‘relax in’, and a nice flight over the Pilbara - so it wasn’t too bad.

On our most recent R&R we headed south to Margaret River, a gorgeous spot full of wineries, galleries and beaches.

We are currently on our last ‘swing’ at Murrin Murrin and on the 13th Dec we take off to NZ for one week, then on to Ireland etc for 5 weeks including Christmas/ NY/ 2 births/ 1 wedding!!

We wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Cheers to that! Love Steph and Damo



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Us at Murrin Us at Murrin
Us at Murrin

Damien grew the mo back briefly as a form of rebellion for having to shave his goatie...until he got hassled for looking like a well known porn star - Don Jeremy!
'Relaxing' outside our room surrounded by bush flies'Relaxing' outside our room surrounded by bush flies
'Relaxing' outside our room surrounded by bush flies

...and sitting like one of the boys!!!
Roche BoysRoche Boys
Roche Boys

Some of the fellas from Roche with the annoying supervisors chair which they relocated to the pub!
Murrin MurrinMurrin Murrin
Murrin Murrin

Aerial view of Camp, Mine and Processing Plant
BungarraBungarra
Bungarra

Searching for old food bits
Salt LakeSalt Lake
Salt Lake

On the way to Murrin
Pilbara LassiePilbara Lassie
Pilbara Lassie

Rio Tinto, Parabadoo Operation
Damien in the Pilbara Damien in the Pilbara
Damien in the Pilbara

Rock crusher pit in the background
DumpieDumpie
Dumpie

Iron Ore dump into crusher - Pilbara
Daddy and DaughterDaddy and Daughter
Daddy and Daughter

Sally and Damien 4 hours after we arrived home. Decorated by Owen with his fish!
Heathy and OwieHeathy and Owie
Heathy and Owie

Owie having a snuggle with his Mummy
Brother Glen and mate LeytonBrother Glen and mate Leyton
Brother Glen and mate Leyton

Checking if it's a legal crayfish - Waimarama, NZ
LouieLouie
Louie

At Mainly Music which Aunty Stephie went to and joined in the hand clapping.
Margaret RiverMargaret River
Margaret River

Lamonts Vineyard
Yalanup BeachYalanup Beach
Yalanup Beach

Margaret River...during school leavers week...i.e. surrounded by skinny bikini clad young ladies, Damien tries hard to look a few years younger...


11th December 2007

brilliant
I just loooove your blogs stephie. You are such a great writer. Am still laughing at las pict and comment. Off to Bradand Tarsh's wedding this week. Ye har. Have a great Christmas in Ireland and look forward to catching up soon. Love Brocky and Dog
2nd September 2008

I'd rather eat razor blades....LOL
HAHA! i just applied for a FIFO job from Perth to Murrin Murrin and wondered why they paid so much - now i know! hmm i lived in Tom Price, and god damn i know what you mean about Paraburdoo! But i'd live there for the right amount of coin! I'm now thinking maybe i should just stay in the whitsundays! even if all the moeny is there.. funny blog though.. made me giggle!!
6th November 2008

Murrin Murrin
Hi! Just checked this for first time in ages! I would definately do it again - especially for the money. And great catching up with people at the pub after work! Missed it when we left! All the best! Hope it goes well.

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb