5 June 2012


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Wyndham
June 5th 2012
Published: September 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We have some accommodation booked in Kununurra tomorrow so we needed to make some tracks this morning. The further north we get the greener the Kimberleys are becoming which is making this unique landscape all the more spectacular.

After rolling through Halls Creek we headed to Wyndham which sits on the Cambridge Gulf and is as far north as we will get in WA. The waterfront was a nice spot to catch our breath but the water was not exactly inviting us in for a dip. Even without the numerous danger signs you do not need much to figure out that this is salt water croc country. The fishing is apparently outstanding but getting to the shoreline to board your vessel would be an occupational safety concern if there ever was one.

The van struggled as we weaved our way up to the Five Rivers Lookout which provided panoramic views out over the horizon; you couldn't ask for a better spot to have lunch. We then headed to Parry Creek Farm to spend the night and it was like an oasis in the desert after a few days camping. The lawns were lush green and there were plenty of trees to park under.

The major highlight of the complex was it had a licensed bar area and a lovely little cafe where we took advantage of the wood oven pizzas for tea. There was a lot of activity up in the trees after dark and I assumed something was making the local birds uneasy but it soon became apparent that these gliding creatures of the night were in fact bats. We had seen wild horses and dingos on the drive earlier today but this was the most unexpected. Welcome to the far north.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb