Windy Shark Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Shark Bay
October 24th 2010
Published: October 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hello
We had a couple of days in Carnarvon, which is renowned for its agriculture. Once again the weather was hot but the wind had dropped off. We took a day trip up to Gnarloo Bay, which, as the attached photo shows, has yet another amazing beach with incredibly blue water. It took a 2hr drive along a very dusty dirt road to get there, but it was well worth it. There was no one else on the beach, so it almost felt like we were on a desert island.

The next day (Sunday), we headed for Denham, which is a small township in the Shark Bay area. Shark Bay is home to the well-known Monkey Mia, where wild dolphins come in daily for a feed. We crossed the Tropic of Capricorn for the second time on our journey, so I guess you could say we have passed the half way mark now. We are staying in the Denham Seaside Tourist Park and our van is parked overlooking Shark Bay. Surprisingly, we have full internet and telephone reception! We initially checked in for three days but have decided to extend it to a week, as there is so much to see in the area and it is soooo relaxing.

We took an adventure 4WD yesterday with our neighbours, Stan and Pam! along a really rough dirt track, to Cape Peron. The road has some very soft sections so we had to let our tyres down considerably to get through.
Stan actually got bogged in soft sand on one of the beaches but we managed to haul him out. Scary, but good fun!! There was a lot of wild life along the way, with lizards, snakes, emus and all sorts of birdlife.

Today (Friday 22nd) has been declared a rest day by Rose. We both got a bit burnt yesterday, with the wind and sun even, with hats and sunscreen on. We have decided to stay on a bit longer here. Denham is a sister city to the Denham in England and is very much like a typical small English seaside town.

It’s now Sunday and we’ve endured three days of very strong winds coming directly from the west. The van has been buffeted and it has been hard for us to sleep at night. We are booked in here until Thursday so hopefully the wind will drop enough for us to do a bit more exploring. We have been busy getting fit, with long walks morning and evening.

Not much else to report so I’ll publish this entry.

Cheers all

John & Rose



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Emu on Monkey Mia BeachEmu on Monkey Mia Beach
Emu on Monkey Mia Beach

"I'm only looking for a spot to sunbake"
Rose at Cape PeronRose at Cape Peron
Rose at Cape Peron

Note all of the Cormorants behind her!


2nd November 2010

wow !!!!!
Hi Dad and Rose wow what a amazing journey you are taking I finally had a chance to look through all of the entries in peace while the girls are at school ....I am speechless , such amazing places ...so happy for you both and omg so envious :))))) Hope you guys are well unsure as to where you are at the moment but hoping you are safe :) We are all doing great ,your beautiful house is still standing and yes I am still mowing the lawns on my own hehe... all the hard work is on the list for greg to do lol !!! Missing you both so much ....xxx

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 16; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb