Dolphin and Shark bonanza!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Shark Bay
December 13th 2005
Published: January 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

MonkeyMiaDolphin1MonkeyMiaDolphin1MonkeyMiaDolphin1

More Dolphins!
Our 3rd and last morning in Monkey Mia was so spectacular (dolphin style), that we just have to bore you with it! The bay was swarming with 'frisky' dolphins - around 12 of them. There was the usual group of ladies and babies, along with males new and old. Mating season was kicking in, and all the dophins were gidding about the arrival of the males, and the males were showing off to the females and us. They were bashing into our legs and each other...Nicky, one of the oldest (a 30 year old female) was very affectionate towards to Spen!

A couple of hours later, we headed north, and stopped off at Shark's bay. We saw at least 5 enormous Tiger sharks, stalking in the crystal clear waters below. We hoped to see turtles, but no.

Our next stop was Shell beach. The entire national park is made up of fine, delicate shells, which gives the whole effect of a brilliant white, spectacular glow. They use the shells (regarded as a renewable material) for building material and feed it to chickens to help them form egg shells.

The onto Hamelin Bay, within Kalbarri National Park, to see the Stromatolites. D must admit to being somewhat dragged to see these organisms, the oldest in the world, but was won over. Totally fascinating things. They grow like giant, rock mushrooms on the beach for metres and metres, and are still alike and growing. Western Oz and the Bahamas have the only living Stromatolites in the world. Geek-dome over with (for now).

Finally, drive to Kalbarri for the night, as recommended by the old sea dog from Rockingham. He supplied fresh fish for the Fish and Chips shop on the jetty, so we stopped off there for supper. Top FnC, it has to be said. Also, the YHA hostel in Kalbarri is modern, well equipped and fab. Outdoes a lot of 4* hotels we've stayed at!




Advertisement



Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb