Sizzled, sore, a snake but still spectacular!


Advertisement
Published: March 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We went on a day trip to Rottnest Island today which is a 25 minute boat ride from Fremantle. It was such a lovely place with gorgeous beaches and coves. The boat was fairly full and the townships had quite a few people in but once we were out of them everywhere was empty. We hired bikes and now have sore bottoms! We cycled all round the island which was 24km (I think). That is a lot of cycling for me.

We cycled from one lovely beach to another. We had to get quite picky towards the end as we could not and stop and go for a paddle at everyone or else we would have been there for the whole holiday! We did have a swim at one of them. The water was quite warm and was super clear.

As well as all the lovely beaches there was also the quokka spotting. Quokkas are little marsupials that live on the island. They are a bit like a cross between a kangaroo and a rat, but in a cute way. The island is named after them, the Dutch explorers mistook the quokkas for rats and called the island rat's nest island. The quokka seemed very used to humans and if you stopped to look at them they soon came rushing up in case you had any food for them.

As the title suggests we also saw a snake! It was only a small one but still. We have no idea if it was dangerous although this is Australia so it probably was!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Tim & his bike Tim & his bike
Tim & his bike

The beach in the distance is where we had lunch


17th March 2009

sounds fab!
Sounds really amazing at that wonderfully named island. think I missed the snake story though? x

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb