day 31 28.8.2008


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Port Hedland
August 31st 2008
Published: August 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post



Had a slow start to the day as we were only going about 140 km’s so we left about 10.30am and headed off to Port Smith. From the turn off on the hwy there is 24 km’s of dirt, dusty and corrugated road some place crawling some doing 40 km’s/hr. Warwick made comment that at times it felt like he was skating while driving as the dust was so thick, sites cost $28.50 bit expensive but good entertainment.

Now if you were a real keen fisherperson like our son in law Nathan than this is the place to be. Port Smith Caravan Park has a bird sanitary and that’s it. The camp sites had 2 blades of grass so Bailey not happy again. The people staying there say the fish are plentiful; some have come in for 3 days and stayed for months.

We drove down to the inlet and gave the dogs a run on the beach but I was low tide and the mangroves were the only things there, no water.

Tonight having a $5/head sausage sizzle and all proceeds go to the Flying Doctor Service. Another very hot day (32 in shade). WE took our chairs and table up to the camp kitchen area and there was an aboriginal band playing and they we pretty good. Marg got up to do the donger race, what it is, is a wood hammer tied on some string between your legs and you have to hit a can into a bucket some 25 mtrs away. After you reach the end you had to tie it onto your partner and they did the rest of the course. It was great fun at the end but Marg say’s the old fart kept kicking her can away so she started to push them.

Marg then went into the female dance contest didn’t win but had fun anyway, she did the hokey pokie first then Craig’s favourite the “bird dance”. The band didn’t get paid for the night’s entertainment so a bucket was passed through the crowd and whatever money went to buy more equipment for the kids to play.

There we auctions also the first two was for mud crabs which was the size of a large dinner plate and they went for $50 and the 2nd for $40. The whole night was very entertaining and everybody joined in.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



1st September 2008

hi
Hi team Australia, Still reading with interest. sounds like a fantastic time so far. Good on ya for getting off yer arses and doing it. mind it looks bloody hot. And a big happy birthday to Warwick. Was there a surprise cake stashed away for the big day??? Give my love to the dogs. Richard xxxx

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb