Perth Pt 6 - Guilderton & The Pinnacles day trip


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Pinnacles
July 2nd 2013
Published: July 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Yanchep (north of Perth) has proven a good base for exploring the region as well as being handy to the family for weekend activities and close to the house they are building.

Tuesday awoke with a broad sunny smile and the forecast was good so we decided to do a day trip north from Yanchep.

Guilderton is a small coastal town on the banks and mouth of the Moore River. The river forms a large protected lagoon before crossing a very white beach into the radiant blue Indian Ocean. Once again the beach here is protected by a couple of off shore reefs making it good for both swimming and fishing. The 1000 m gap from beach to first reef is apparently a great fishing trench and was being trolled when we were there.

Guilderton has a lovely camping ground right on the Lagoon edge which we may use in the future.

After a quick tour of the town and a fuel stop at the Road House, we headed towards the main road to proceed a further 40 minutes drive to the Pinnacles. On the way back to the main road we stopped to view Guilderton's version
Who made this sculpture?Who made this sculpture?Who made this sculpture?

One of many fascinating and bewildering shapes
of The Pinnacles.

On the left side of the road heading out, about a kilometre from the main road is a large limestone quarry. There is a trench or sink hole which has similar structures to The Pinnacles. In this case, probably due to moisture and other minerals, these structures are quite colourful and photogenic.

Pictures taken, we head north towards The Pinnacles passing through some forested areas and then into the large Nambung National Park which includes The Pinnacles Desert.

There were numerous road signs warning of roaming wild life. Quite timely too as we came across several emus crossing the road. In the past we had found that the emus generally got out of the way quickly. This time they just meandered their way across the road. We didn't see any Roos, but I know they are in the area. One of the locals told us that the emus are Pea Brains and often just run down the road. If you move right to pass them, they swerve right. So you go left and so do they. Our policy has been to stop and let them go.

We stopped for lunch at a lookout, and not surprisingly we saw those Wind farms again along the coastal hill line. There are places that promote these as a tourist attraction, but I can assure you the novelty wears off quick. They also mess up photos of the coastal hills. (We endorse the energy principle though)

The warmer winter temperatures seemed to have brought on the wild flowers earlier than we expected. The Cockies Tongue flowering bushes had their bright red flowers in full bloom, and many other shrubs had early flowers open or plump enough to burst open.

Before arriving at The Pinnacles we came across what looks like WA's snow fields. A closer examination shows that it is a sand hill of very fine ultra white silica sand. This supports no vegetation, so stands out from the surrounding low scrubby plateau. On the return journey, the colour had changed to a soft mauve with the setting sun.

Photos taken, we get to The Pinnacles early afternoon, just as we planned. The National Parks Pass we purchased at Esperance gave us free access to the park, and after a chat to the entry man, we were told we could, if careful, drive around
Tranquil WatersTranquil WatersTranquil Waters

Guilderton
the park loop, a trip of around 4 Ks.

We had been here a couple of years ago and were not allowed to drive, so walked the 1.3ks loop path. This time by driving, we were able to see other parts of the desert park.

From the photos, you can see these odd limestone structures where time and the elements have sculptured these intriguing shape. Scientists are divided as to the creation of these structures, and I cannot add much to their views other than The Creator may also have made interesting things to puzzle us.

We enjoyed our drive around and had a cuppa in the car park and also visited the information centre and shop. Both a good place to spend time, and for others, money!

The plan was to be in the park for sunset, but we were both apprehensive about driving back to Yanchep after dark due to the number of emus on the move, and roos also. So we drove around the circuit a second time photographing some of the same and also other structures with the low setting sunlight.

Task complete, we left The Pinnacles to head home a
Pristine BeachPristine BeachPristine Beach

Where the Moore River meets the Indian Ocean.
little before sunset.

The return drive was about 1.5 hours. The first part we followed behind a truck hoping that he would clear any critters, but he just kept going faster and faster. (So much for being governed to 105 Ks)

Any way, we arrived home without hurting the wild life or even seeing any. Not sure how many of them saw us! We also discovered that one Merc likes cruising at 110ks (speed limit here) without the trailer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Cockies TongueCockies Tongue
Cockies Tongue

Wild flowers starting to bloom.
Emus wandering across the road.Emus wandering across the road.
Emus wandering across the road.

Thanks Marg for this pic.
A KKK meeting?A KKK meeting?
A KKK meeting?

Or maybe a ghost convention that was petrified.


7th July 2013

pinnacles
agree that the Creator made the sculptures, he /she must have a wonderful sense of humour, he/she made humans!!
7th July 2013

Those odd sculptures
Science has suggestions, but in this case no real answers. I am amazed that evolution and uniformitarianism is blind to the huge number of anomalies in our planet, and presumably in any others in the universe.
7th July 2013
The road way

FOLLOW THAT ROAD
I've been thinking of starting a particular Forum for ages...this photo prompts me to do so...will be the opening photo...captures the imagination. It will be called "Follow that Road." Enjoy.
7th July 2013
The road way

Follow that road
Hi Dave, I liked that photo too - sort of simple and mysterious. Where can I find the forum you are starting?
10th July 2013

Nice Post
Very Useful post... just to add more weight-age to your blog post... find here a useful Perth city map http://www.mapsofworld.com/australia/cities/perth-map.html

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0844s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb