Esperance to Perth


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
May 16th 2013
Published: May 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

With the reunion with our family looming in Perth, we set off to catch up with them by weeks end.

When we visited Western Australia (WA) previously, the only southern coastal link we had not covered was Esperance to Albany, though we had covered part of this as we passed through Ravensthorpe last time on our way to Wave Rock.

This time we continued on the highway through to Albany. This coastal city has a reputation for rain, as does the southern plains. Hence we saw great pastures and land prepared for or already planted for the next grain or canola crops. The main thing we wanted at Albany was to restock with fresh fruit and vegies before turning north west for Perth. For those who have not travelled these roads, there are fruit and vegetable quarantine restrictions, so we arrived in WA with only processed foods.

My watch had also died along the way, so I took the opportunity to replace it here. It lasted less than 6 hours, so we took it back to the shop as we headed out of town, and the replacement has run without issues since then.

There are a number of ways of getting to Perth from Albany. We set off for Lake Towerrining via Mt Barker and Kojonup. This is a beautiful part of WA, with the highway passing through forests, orchards and a variety of farm lands. There are a couple of National Parks, the Stirling Ranges probably the best know for its 4WD tracks. We past here and our first stop was at Kojonup for a late lunch.

One thing we had been trying to capture was the size of some of the rural machines such as ploughs etc. I was walking around after lunch and heard a heavy machinery sound approaching, and as it came into sight, the size impressed. The rig with the outriggers folded vertical still took about 80% of the width of the road. Even getting between roadside trees was a navigational hazard.

At the other side of the intersection was an equally impressive piece of yesteryear, a huge wagon loaded high with wool bales. I suspect there was some degree of artistic license in the celebration of the wool industry. The shire of Kojonup probably has more sheep than the total human population of WA. One farmer we spoke to had reduced sheep and increased beef cattle due to difficulty in getting shearers. Others are breeding sheep that don't need shearing, and relying on the meat trade. Others are specialist in specific breeds of sheep including merino.

Marg was able to take some pictures of the sheep that don't need shearing. Mind you, we didn't know that at the time, but we laughed at the crazy colour patterns of the animals coat. More like goat colours. One colourful ewe had a snow white lamb.

The journey continued westwards to Lake Towerrining , a popular bush camp in the middle of nowhere. It is of interest to geologists as it is a lake formed in an impact crater. Apparently folk still find small particles of the black meteorite that struck here many years ago. The local folk have used this lake for water sport for many years, if there was water. In more recent times the lake has been maintained at a reasonable water level year round. Don't try and get here at a summer weekend. The weekdays are great with lots of bird life to watch and enjoy. I would expect 'roos and emus too, though we missed those. Beware also, warm days here are followed by very cold nights!

One of the hazards of visiting these places is phone connectivity. The caretaker told us that one can generally get phone reception on three out of 15 sites, and we are glad we took that advice. Not far short of midnight I awoke with full on palpitations that would not settle. After three attempts to dial 000, we finally made a connection (to Melbourne) and gave our location via GPS coordinates. Twenty minutes later an Ambulance crew arrived, and took me 1.5 hours to Collie Hospital.

The Ambo staff out here are all volunteers, and really looked after us both well. It was decided that one of them (Colin) would drive the MH following the ambulance as night driving out here is difficult.

After their wonderful company and an interesting talk about camping and cameras, we arrived at hospital feeling much better.

The nurse in emergency proudly wore the MIDWIFE badge. The mind boggles and I wondered if I was about to make some medical history! Checks showed that no damage had been done, and rhythm was returning to normal. So after a night
Larger than life?Larger than life?Larger than life?

Memorial to the early graziers of this region. Kojonup
and morning of observation, I was discharged after having a fun time with the wonderful staff of this little rural hospital.

With the afternoon rushing past and another COLD night due, we decided to drive about 1.5 hours west out of the high country to Pinjarra, just about 100ks south of Perth. It was a good and bad decision. The temps were much warmer, the camping ground in need of a major bush fire to give it a reason to update everything except the camp kitchen which was great.

One of the odd things in travel is knowing when and where to fill up with fuel. In the outback, there are signs advising how far to the next service, but not so in the populated area. We knew we would need fuel for the final run to Perth, and Tom Tom told us there was a Shell Servo right on the corner where we would turn to the Pinjarra MC. Unfortunately, the Servo (not the camp) had been demolished.

So we asked Tom Tom where the next one was on the way to Perth. He told us that it was a Caltex servo just off the motorway entrance. We remembered this servo from our last trip and headed straight there. Unfortunately, it was closed for major refurbishment.

Third time lucky and 38ks further down the road, Tommy took us successfully to another Caltex Servo, just to the side of the motorway. Not quite as low on fuel as on the Nullarbor, but low enough to be of concern.

Filled up, Marg continued her drive and achieved a first for her - crossing a major city at the wheel. Of course, Tom Tom abley assisted by Rob Rob made this a little easier. So, now we are set up at the camp at Yanchep (North of Perth) and our family who live just a little south of here arrived to give us a very big welcome.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

And the gizmo it towed.And the gizmo it towed.
And the gizmo it towed.

Not sure - possibly a seed planter?


16th May 2013

Good New
Hi Rob we were sure pleased that your little scare appears to have been no more than that. Really enjoy reading your blogs with it's great photos. Do enjoy your the time with family. My surgery has been set down for the 29th not really looking forward to this one. Do keep those posts coming May God travel with you both Brian and Maureen
17th May 2013

News
Thanks Brian. We trust your surgery goes well at the end of the month. Rob
16th May 2013

Colourful sheep
Well that was an eye opener coloured sheep perhaps the meat is coloured too? A first for us but at least the farmer knows which to shear! Good blog of pictures Glad you are safely in Perth Love from us Oldies at home
17th May 2013

Spot the sheep
Not sure, maybe differing flavours under the colour changes. Like lamb and mushroom! Ha ha. Rob
17th May 2013

trees
I am jealous of the beautiful colourful trees you are seeing, I love trees and miss the colours of themas winter comes. It's been cold here , 'tho most of our days are lovely.Have a wonderful time with family--love Jakii
20th May 2013

Hope your 'palpitations do not come back'
Dear Margaret and Rob Heard from Brian B at our little 'Church get together' this weekend of the above - read it here now and presume you are OK - maybe having 'overdone it a bit'. Rest well now with your family before you go again. Love Carol
21st May 2013

Health
Thanks Carol. Doing well today, and hope that continues. Slight adjustment to meds plus a supplement to improve electricals around the heart. Here in Perth for 5 weeks, so plenty of observation time before heading north.

Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0698s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb