Day 6 - onwards to Alice Springs


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
December 16th 2012
Published: December 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Sitting at the domestic Airport waiting for our flight to Alice Springs I thought I would reflect on some observations about Perth:

1. People drive at the speed limit which in residential areas is 60 kph !

2. I didn't get beeped once for being slow off the mark at traffic lights or for being in the wrong lane.

3. Even the most officious looking people were pleasant and polite (compare security at the airports where I always get stopped).

4. In fact all the peoplehave been lovely and in particular our hosts Gabi and Paul. Thank you.

Our favourite shop name so far: Violet Pilot.

We got up early in order to pack and have breakfast before departing the Levi household to get to the airport. The logistics were a bit problematic as we had collected our car from the international terminal and we were flying from the domestic terminal. However, our plan to leave at 9.30 am didn't quite materialise and we left just before 10. Fortunately the traffic wasn't too bad and tbe roadworks didn't hold us up. As we got to the airport we saw signs to the rental car drop off and there was Hertz.

We walked the short walk to the terminal and found a new experience; automated printing of boarding passes AND automated check in of baggage. We did not know what the baggage allowance was but as it didn't balk we assumed we were fine.

Then the real fun. As usual my hip set off the alarm. For anybody planning a bionic body part add an extra 10 minutes to your journey for (fe)manual searches. This time I was offered a private room. I declined thinking I was safer in public from too intimate probing.The magic wand proved me right. And on we went with an event free flight.

Alice Springs airport is so dinky. The plane was tbe only one in the airport. It pulled up at a zebra crossing and we walked a short piece of tarmac to the path to the terminal. The airport itself is so small that it has one entrance/exit so that as you leave you walk past people being screened as they enter the airport.

Alice Springs is hot but not humid. We found a taxi straight away and were taken to our hotel. We dumped our bags and thought we would walk into town but it started raining so we stayed in and watched the Paul Simon documentary on the making of Graceland.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb