No turkey in the outback.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
October 19th 2009
Published: October 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

I know its been a while since we last blogged...amazing how time is flying down here!
The month of October has brought us our first bit of SUNSHINE since we arrived in Perth, so we're finally able to get outside, get to the beach, and enjoy some of the outdoor lifestyle that WA has to offer. However, that wasn't before Kevin & June dragged us with Jen & Todd (Kevin's sister & husband) and a few more of their friends to the "Toodyay Races." The Toodyay Races are a set of day long races, where people migrate out to Toodyay (about an hour outside of Perth) to a horse-oval literally cut out of the hillside. With locals in flip-flops and jeans, city-folk dressed in their Sunday best (including a "best dressed" competition...) it was a great day with drinks, races, and good food. We were lucky enough to find a 2-dollar coin on the ground (apparently calling it a "toonie" doesn't fly), and through a strategic mathematical system where I followed the lady who had the biggest hat to the tipping booth and saw what horse she was betting on we were able to turn that lucky 2-dollar coin into 10 (which of course, Sheena turned into a cider and a box of fries)! After a long day, we piled back into our rented van, opened up our "eske" (cooler) and had a great trip back into the city, ensuring proper hydration.
After another boring week of work, we had our eyes on Canadian Thanksgiving, which Sheena tempted me all week by saying she was going to cook a Turkey. Alas...she was lying. So we made Sushi instead! We had a relaxing weekend walking around the city and meeting up with Mike & Rita in our now favourite hang out for some backgammon.
Then, again..another boring week of work...but at least this time, we were eyeing up the weekend where we were promised our first day of sunshine and 30+ temperatures - and the weatherman didn't disappoint! Mike, Rita, Sheena and myself headed up to Scarborough beach (no...don't think Toronto Scarborough...think amazing Indian Ocean Scarborough) where we sat on the beach, played amongst some MASSIVE (3 meters plus!) waves, and ended our day with a beach-side Kebab (although the fried bugs were tempting, we decided to pass..maybe next time). The waves are so big and the beach so rough that you actually get "reverse waves" - a combination of the rip tide and the sand bar causing waves that will hit you from behind..crazy!
After the beach, we were invited to Kevin & June's for dinner, where we were able to catch up with them on their new engagement (congrats!) and celebrate June's Birthday. Kevin, our host for the evening, whipped up a fantastic meal - including cake - and we enjoyed a fine evening where the girls discussed wedding details and the guys did what guys do - played monopoly.
The weather in Perth is getting better by the day - evident by a growing number of festivals and outside activities that we see. Exhibit #1 - we have an ally behind our building which somehow was able to host a punk/rock concert last weekend. Which was great, except they were playing until 10:30pm Sunday evening. Underneath our window. We were tired. They were not so good. In typical Sheena fashion she wanted me to call the manager...but there wasn't a number on the top of the tent, so I dodged a bullet.
While the next week will be another fairly quiet one, we are growing more excited by the day for a couple of big events coming up: first and foremost, we are heading to BALI for a few days with Mike & Rita. Can't wait, as we leave next Tuesday and are back on Saturday. Which, conveniently, is just in time for Sheena's cousin, Danielle, to arrive the following Tuesday for 3 weeks of exploring all that Perth/WA has to offer! Also this weekend we're hoping to get back to the beach, and have some sort of picnic activity in King's Park. We have made the interesting discovery of 1) drink in a pail, which Mike and I love, and 2) drinkS (plural) in a pail - apparently its a thing to head down to the river after sun set, avec beer/wine in the most ghetto pail you can find (think clean your floor pail) filled with ice, and have a few with friends. I can see myself getting very used to this custom!
We will definitely have a great blog post (filled with incredible pictures) after the Bali trip, so stay tuned!
Also, for those who want to see Mike & Rita's blog, here is the link - you can see all of their adventures (to compare, and they also have a ton of great photos. Also, to show that we didn't just make up a set of imaginary friends.
No Hockey In the Outback - Mike & Rita's Blog



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

News in Australia? News in Australia?
News in Australia?

No joke..this is a standard gem on the news in Perth. On prime-time. I miss Lloyd Robertson.
Cold Water? Cold Water?
Cold Water?

She did end up going in...after some convincing from Mike & I!


21st October 2009

Yuk
Sushi for Thanksgiving ... okay Beans - you've totally lost it! Get your sorry ASS into the kitchen and learn to cook!
22nd October 2009

Title goes here
NICE BLOG TITLE. Although you were correct for noting the lack of a phone number on the top of the tent, I think that what Sheena wanted you to do was to use your Daddy Voice and tell them to shut up from the balcony. You could throw a glass, greek-style. No beach this weekend, we are packing for BALI!
19th November 2009

Love your travel blog guys lol Bugs confused us too when we first arrived in Oz, but they are actually little crayfish and very yummy

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb