Hi from Perth


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
June 23rd 2009
Published: June 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We are now in Perth, staying at a very nice caravan park in Fremantle, just south of the city. We had a good look around the old port of Fremantle when we arrived yesterday, driving around all the narrow streets and looking at all the old buildings. There were people eating outside at the many cafes and restaurants, old warehouses are now art galleries and the whole area is now very upmarket and trendy.

After lunch and booking into the caravan park, we then drove into Perth, going to the beautiful Kings Park and Botanic Gardens which overlook the city. I love it there, the roads are lined with white gums, each with a marker for a slain soldier from the wars, there are beautiful big old trees and wildflowers, quite a few in flower, even though it's winter.

One of my favourites is the Silver Princess gum, a small tree with weeping grey green leaves, silver bark and large silver gumnuts ... I would have loved to have picked a few for Christmas decorations! Some still had a few flowers on them. There is the old boab tree that they were transferring from the outback into the gardens there last time we were in Perth - it's still alive but only just. The souvenier shop was full of books, expensive glassware and art, handbags, scarves etc. - once more better than the usual souveniers one finds in these places and we sat over cappuccinos at the cafe next door, overlooking the river and the city - a nice way to spend time.

We then drove to the northern suburbs to the Fiat dealer to have the wheel of the motor home seen to and a couple of other maintenance jobs - so that it's in top condition before we do the lonely drive towards Broome. We have to wait for parts (again, why do they never have them on hand?) and it is our home, so we left to come another day, perhaps tomorrow or Thursday.

Meanwhile, today is for city sightseeing. I've seen one of those city tourist buses where you can get on and off at various sights so that might be something we do - just being back in the big smoke gives me a buzz!




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



22nd June 2009

hi
Thanks for the info on finding the photos..Much nicer this way
23rd June 2009

Hi Judi
Yes, we're both learning our way around here :)

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0654s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb