Greetings from Planet Perth!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
June 14th 2005
Published: June 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

G'day! Here we are in Perth, WA and just to keep you up to date...

Finances = Green (possibly not for long now we're in Oz)
Fitness = Amber (but getting better)
Relationship = Green
Arguments = Zero

We've made it to Oz. We arrived in Perth on Sunday to a bit of rain (we think its following us!) after a fantastic end in South Africa. We spent 2 nights in wonderful 5-star luxury while on safari at Shamwari. The place itself was amazing and we were waited on hand and foot while the game drives were incredible. Considering we weren't really bothered about doing safari it has been the highlight of the trip so far.

Mark was really good at spotting animals and when he spotted the hippo's before our ranger he was renamed 'imfubu' - which is african for hippo. (He took it as a compliment!) However, despite seeing so many animals, the highlight of the game drives was when we pulled up next to another jeep, said hi to the occupants and Sven Goran-Eriksson turned round and replied. We then had dinner that night with Sven's helicopter pilot and learnt how long he was staying for. After that we spent as much time looking out for Sven as we did for animals!!!!

Before Shamwari we were in Knysna. We went mountain biking and encountered some single track with technical drop-offs (these are Mark's words, I just rode my bike over some big tree roots!). We also went canoeing to keep up the active theme. On our final evening we drove to a viewpoint to watch the sunset and then track down a locksmith after Mark locked the keys in the car. They're much cheaper in SA, it only cost us a tenner and now we know how to break into a Corsa!!!

So we left SA with very fond memories - only slightly marred by my rucksack getting broken into while on transit in Jo'burg airport. Luckily there were no valuables in there, just tons of dirty washing. Needless to say, nothing went missing!!!

So on to Oz and amazingly, since we arrived we haven't suffered from any jetlag. I keep trying to use general snooziness as an excuse but its not working. We hired the hotel bikes out but were very shocked to discover they had no gears! We managed about 10 miles on them which was quite an experience (and a sore one at that!). We were back on the bikes again yesterday, this time cycling around Rottnest Island. Rottnest was lovely and we even managed to find a totally isolated beach where we fell asleep to the sound of the waves lapping on the shore.

So today is our last day in Perth and I have persuaded Mark to go shopping. I'm suffering as I have only bought a fridge magnet since leaving the UK so need a retail therapy fix to get back on track.

Tomorrow we pick up the car and then we're off exploring the west coast. At the moment we only have a vague idea if what we want to do and no accommodation booked after tonight. But I'm sure we'll be fine and find something. Otherwise we'll be sleeping in our Aussie version of the Corsa!!!!

Am now wasting valuable shopping time so time we were off. Hope everyone is well, enjoy the next week and we'll be in touch again soon.

Love K&M

PS We have included some extra photos in the gallery. If you click on our names at the top of the page it should take you to our home page, then click on gallery and then click on the pictures. You should then find extra pics. If this isn't right then play around until you get there!!!

Advertisement



15th June 2005

arguments = zero ?
I assume that you must be travelling separately :-) - David Ish
2nd February 2006

Mvubu
Hippo = Mvubu

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0733s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb