Perth, Mate


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
December 8th 2006
Published: December 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello or G'day from Australia! We arrived in Perth over a week ago now and have been busy exploring and planing our route around Western Australia. Perth itself is a quiet place, although it's the capital of WA, it's central area (or Central Business District) is pretty small in comparison to European cities. The climate here is fantastic, the temperature is a pleasant thirty degrees and the think humidity of Asia has been replaced by lovely dry winds which sweep through the region in the afternoon. Walking around Perth is really enjoyable, really refreshing after the trying tropical climates of Malaysia and Singapore.

Anyone visiting Perth should go to the Museum Western Australia, which lends some great insight into the history of Perth and the region, both from a European perspecive and from an Aboriginal point of view - something we weren't sure they would deal with, but it proved to be very honest about the hardships endured, in what were relatively recent times. We also wandered round the WA Art Gallery, which was also excellent.

After spending a couple of days exploring the city we hopped on a train and visited nearby Fremantle, here we found a small town with a great atmosphere. The streets were lined with beautiful old buildings and by the water there was a great pier with a great fish and chips shop (can you tell we've missed western food?)! Needless to say we tucked in. Actually, we're quite enjoying cooking for ourselves now we have a kitchen at our hostel, believe it or not but three months of eating out actually gets quite boring after a while and we've been enjoying re-learning how to make ourselves meals.

Today we went down to Victoria Park, just outside of town, to see the Gravity Games 2006. Basically loads of extreme sports taking place, from Jet Skiing to Skateboarding, all free to view. It was pretty cool, Joanna looked pretty worried by the guys on motorbikes throwing themselves around in the air, convinced they were gonna die. No one did. James loved the Skateboarding taking place on Australia's biggest half-pipe - 14 feet high! It was really fun to see something so different, something so Australian!

Well we've decided to settle in Perth for Christmas, but before we do we've rented a car for a two week adventure around Western Australia. We're hoping to see a bit of the country not many people seem to get around, hence we aren't using public transport (it seems quite limiting). So although we will probably be out of touch for a while, we should have loads of good pictures and stories to share when we get back.

Speak to you soon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Pier at FremantlePier at Fremantle
Pier at Fremantle

Where we had our fish and chips, our first in three months!
WarningWarning
Warning

No awards for working this one out


8th December 2006

Bonzer!
17th December 2006

seen any kangaroos yet?
Lovely to see your photos and know there's sunshine somewhere. Here it has rained non-stop for a week, very heavily, and it's dark all day. This is your Christmas greeting from all of us here in Scotland, hoping you're still having a great time.
17th December 2006

Flaming gallahs
Just how many comments are you going to get with Alfisms??!!!!! Just survived a week in Middleton with the kids. We had the strongest winds the woman had ever known and as a result we did no walking. The kids climbed the walls for a week and I slept for 18 hours straight when I got back. I did entertain myself by reading the Cheveley Park entries in the diary which were very funny. I'm getting very very excited about Christmas here in Blighty, keep buying more decorations. Am hoping to rival Mr R's decorations (well we all live in hope!) Sounds like you are having a lovely time. I nearly bought a second hand car from a bloke who came from Perth the other day. He said you should definitly visit it and you have! However, this bloke was not very nice and rather pushy about buying this car so perhaps don't buy a car from them
18th December 2006

Wow
I'm going to come out and admit it, its a good few months since I last visited your blog, I've spent an hour this morning catching up and what can I say? Sounds like you're having a fantastic time, well written too, a pleasure to read in fact. I've never been overly interested in travelling myself but you've made it sound so exciting I want to jump out of my chair and buy some plane tickets now! Getting lost in the jungle? Monkey attacks? Diving lessons (tooth injuries :() Breaking toilets (It was like that when I got here! lol) Angkor Wat! I'm envious but really pleased for you guys. Anyway I hope your tour of western australia is good fun and that you have a merry christmas in Perth! -Tom S.
18th December 2006

merry christmas
Are you going to have a traditional Australian Christmas with Turkey on the beach?? Merry Christmas in any case! Nick

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0609s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb