Crikey, there's a roo.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth » Perth City
June 23rd 2006
Published: June 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Road to NowhereRoad to NowhereRoad to Nowhere

The Australian outback pretty much summed up.
Well hello again ye followers of our trip.

It's been a very interesting few weeks since we last updated you all.

Adelaide -> Alice Springs (the hard way)

Australia is COLD!!! I don't care what you have seen or heard it's definitely cold (in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night, in the middle of winter, in a tent). The days are pretty warm though...

We Jumped on a bus in Adelaide early one morning for an 8 day trip to Alice. It's about 1500Km if you go straight, but who wants to do that???

The first day involved travelling through the beautiful Clare Valley and on to FLinders Range stopping to see some aboriginal cave paintings. That night we camped out at Wilpena Pound in minus temperatures. Civilisation just seemed to disappear after that.

On the second day after a walk up Wilpena pound we followed dirt roads through the heart of the Flinders range to historic copper mines of Binman. Day three found us at William Creek with a population of 12 and over 200 kms from the nearest "towns" on either side. We camped SWAG style - pretty cool
Roadkill RestaurantRoadkill RestaurantRoadkill Restaurant

Hey, you think I'm joking don't you...
to wake up and see the sunrise from your bed!!!

On day 4 we reached Cooper Pedy - home of Opal mining. We even got a chance to go fossicking for opals that afternoon. Most of the buildings are underground to keep cool when it gets ridiculously warm in summer. We saw an underground church, house and even stayed in underground bunk accomodation.

Day 5 saw us travel through the Breakaways where Mad Max 3 and Pitch Black were filmed. Loads and loads of absolute nothing - but pretty nice nothing.

11hrs later we got to Ayers ROck (uluru) and spent the next couple of days in the area catching sunsets and sunrises over The Rock, The Olgas and Kings Canyon. Then it was on up to Alice Springs. (I've sort of condensed the last few days cause Barbara was writing to start with and it was getting pretty long! (Spot the teacher...)

The outback is pretty amazing overall and definitely worth seeing if in Oz. This tour was excellent (THANKS to our guide - BT and all the other guys on the trip) and one of the best experiences of our journey so far.
Uluru sunsetUluru sunsetUluru sunset

Its just a big rock but a VERY BIG ROCK.

We checked out the School of the Air in Alice - teaching kids over 1000Km away covering an area of 1.3 Million Square KM. (and all you teachers out there think you have to shout lots...)

In Perth on the West coast at the moment just taking it easy for a few days before heading to Africa. Heading to the Australia vs Ireland Rugby on Sat (24th) and then leave the next morning. Watch this space for Africa. We'll probably not get that done until we get home,(Now on the 3rd (ish) of August)but it's going to be good....!!!!

Fair dinkum Cobber, throw another shrimp on the barbie and all that stuff....

Sam and Babs.

P.s. For all you teachers - the School of the air uses radios and computers - I was only joking about the shouting...


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

THE ROCKTHE ROCK
THE ROCK

NO....the other one. How on earth would they stop people escaping???
Kings canyonKings canyon
Kings canyon

Its not quite as big as the Grand Canyon but still.. I wouldn't want to wallpaper it.
Kings canyonKings canyon
Kings canyon

What,you're sure you dropped your contact lens on this side???
The mighty Todd RiverThe mighty Todd River
The mighty Todd River

If you see it flow 3 times then you are considered a local in ALice Springs, but don't hold your breath...
and you thought...and you thought...
and you thought...

that Pomeroy was far away...


31st July 2006

Todd river,
I have seen theday after it flooded, does that make me 1/3 local at Alice springs. It;s great to see the update. Hope you're having the time of your life, we did.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb